Help on a Drakes Plantation Bitters Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sscokebottles

Reaction score
This bottle is really stumping me. I recently found this bottle at an antique shop, and I'm not sure if it's the real deal or not, I included some crappy cell phone pictures, and hopefully a good description will give you a good idea of the bottle. Alright, so it looks to be hand blown, just from the general crudeness, base, and various impurities. It looks like it has a crude (very uneven if might add) applied top, and the mold line stops just before the lip. It reads on the front "S T / Drake's / 1860 / Plantation / X / Bitters" on the three tier roof top. On the back on the second tier it has "Patented / 1860" all on the same tier of roof. This is the part that has me concerned, on the examples I've seen, usually the date "1860" is the lower tier, interrupting the roof pattern. The other concern I have is that the glass seems to light or thin. Its still a heavy bottle, but not heavy enough to feel like an 1870's bottle. And the last concern is that has two open areas, I forgot if there was supposed to be two or one on these bottles. But other then that, the base looks right compared to other drake bottles, the embossing quality is fair, has 6 logs above where the label goes on both sides, and 17 logs on the other areas (including base) and it has a nice honey amber color to it. Now, I know it's not a thousand dollar bottle, maybe it's a 75-100 dollar bottle even of its real. But it would be a nice addition to my collection because I dont have a log cabin bitters yet. Anyway, if it turns out to be repro, I didn't loose much, but if it turns out real, I scored. I actually found it amongst a lot of Avon and Reproduction bottles, but this one had an applied top and looked hand blown, so it stood out to me. Below are the pictures (hopefully not oversized this time), I wish for the best... Have a nice week everybody!
vZbVA.jpg

3GzaC.jpg

79ko4.jpg

eHuku.jpg

mmRA9.jpg

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
They do not reproduce these Drakes cabin bottles, so your's is the real McCoy. No need to be concerned, there were a number of mold variations. And, you are about right on the 75-100 price range. Good find for a box of repro bottles!

botlguy

Reaction score
It's the real deal, I collected Bitters for 40+ years. The others are correct with their comments but I believe it could be worth a little more than $100 but then I haven't been watching ebay for them. Color is everything and even a small difference can make a difference. Congratulations, that's a wonderful bottle.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Yes its real, known as a six log St Drakes bitters worth about $135.00 give or take a few. welcome to the forum, nice bottle to start your bitters collection with. the rarest is the five log variety and the fancy scrolled version. the logs are counted up from the label side and there are four five and six log versions.........

sscokebottles

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the help! Glad to here its the real deal. I was waiting to tell how much I paid for it, not knowing if it was real or not, but I paid around 6 dollars for the bottle. Thanks again!

beendiggin

Reaction score
What??? You paid 6 bucks for a Drakes? WAY TO GO. That's an incredibly good score. You earned bragging rights on that one!

VTdigger

Reaction score
Yeah that's real. I got mine ( very simular to that one in the first post.) for $1.29 at the local Goodwill I thought it was to good to be true and had to be a repro but they didn't reproduce the drakes as someone said plus I saw one at the antique store for $135.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776