Help with what ive got?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cc6pack

Reaction score
Ben

Your Bear Bryant bottle is a 10 ounce commemorative Coke bottle. It dates fron 1981, It's has 3 variants I'll try to explain then to you. If you look on the right side of" A" That has the elephant and scroll. The scroll will end at the botton of the A (variant 1), value is about $5.00, if the tail on the scroll goes a little higher up on the A (variant 2) $7.00 if their is a tail on the elephant and the scroll (variant 3)$10.00. I know this is hard to tell without looking at the variants in person but thats about the best I can do. The prices I gave are about average you might see prices up or down from what I gave.

saslls

Reaction score
I'm new at this bottle digging hobby also and have a couple of the bottles posted here. I'm curious to find out too! I hope you find more answers here!!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Re: RE: Help with what ive got?

Well all of us need books to help us know which bottles are old enough to be kept. To me the ones with no vertical seams on the finish stand a good chance of being hand blown. That is a key reason to keep them. The ones with hand tooled threaded finishes are the ones I am trying to get now. Every mechanical mark of different mold repair or glass forming problem; make them important to keep for me. Like any hobby it is what floats your boat that gives the greatest smiles on your face.RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score

If anyone wants a copy of my outline of what people are looking for in marks on glass bottles that tell you what we look for when we take them home, I have a write up for newbie collectors, that I put together to help you. send me an email and I will send a copy back by email. My home page is another information source. It is a great hobby, and I recently have had a chance to examine a really special bottle, because a man sent it to me - so I could evaluate how it was made. It was a pint turn molded whiskey bottle with an applied ball type lip and a glass handle. All hand done by an expert early bottle maker. The unique thing to me was that the turning operation had to be done with the blow-pipe rather than a mold turning mechanism. This put a few angular twist lines in the neck of the bottle under the applied glass ball type applied finish. Then it had an applied handle was added after the finish was done and the lower part of the handle was applied with a two rod hand tool - that I have never seen before. I would like to find some more of these bottles to study the making process some more. When you get into it as far as I have - it becomes exciting to find illustrations of bottle making skill. Another new mind blower for the week - is a round ball dish that is about 4" in diameter that was made from a spun disk of glass with a bottom recess and then rolled up towards the top of the round ball but the outside of that disk was tucked with (my count) 38 folds that ended up being the top edge of the ball,. These folds are about two inches in length down to the central ball 4" diameter. Each fold is about a 5/8" long at the top, 1/4" wide and the glass thickness there is worked down to about 1/16th of an inch thickness in that ruffled top form. It is my second mind blower for the week. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score

And I didn't state that those top folds are about 2-1/4" in length. The overall height is about four inches top to bottom. I will be trying to get some pictures tomorrow. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Now I have decided that the disc must have been about 5/16 inches thick and started to be shaped as a lower half of the ball with straight up sides. Then the maker must have shaped the ruffles and tilted them towards the center in the process of making them. It is a fabulous work of glass making skill in my opinion. Picture asap. RED M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229