Helpless in Chicago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Daddycatty

Reaction score
Hi Guys, This is my first post so I figured I'd start with the bottle that turned me into the bottlefreak that I have recently become.
I dug this bottle on the N/W side of Chicago. It's about 6" tall, BIM, Flat base (much smoother than any I've seen). The cork has a piece of glass remaining in the bottom of the cork (Glass stopper?). I'm guesing the glass is sick. There are no markings as far as embossed letters or numbers. The mold seam stops at the base of the neck. I want to say it was made before 1875 because there are no vent hole marks.
Any info on this bottle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

F1789B900F7A4A90842A98C6B75F1BFC.jpg

Attachments

• F1789B900F7A4A90842A98C6B75F1BFC.jpg
    F1789B900F7A4A90842A98C6B75F1BFC.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 39

Digswithstick

Reaction score
HEY DC I am new too welcome , can't tell you anything about your bottle other than i like it , someone here can ,Digsws

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's an interesting shape, almost a figural.
It looks like it might be from the 1880s to 1890s period.
hard to say what was in it, maybe an antiseptic medicine, a polish, or dye of some sort. If you think it might of had an applicator that could narrow it down a bit. It may even be worth checking some poison books for it.
Post a photo of the bottom, that might give a clue to age.
Cobalt bottles are always keepers, even unembossed ones.

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: deepbluedigger

It looks kind of art deco to me

I agree, but the lip finish sounds like it wasn't machine made, or at least not machine finished. I'd guess it was from the early 20th century, when the beginnings of the art deco style was picking up speed. Matt could be right that it's earlier too, who knows? My first impression was definitely roaring twentys though. Cool bottle, definitely worth a tumble.

Sean

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles