Henry Wilkens Tivoli Providence, RI beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
This is a tough one that's been on my want list for a while. Apparently there are two versions! Mine has a H on the base, and another is embossed Ellenville.

Gloppy blob, whittled, and bold slugplate!
8451599738_551f4b38db_z.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
I really like that beer, the slugplate really pops out at ya. Was the outer perimeter of the plate chiseled for that effect?

And what does "Tivoli" represent? Found some references to Tivoli beer from Colorado, any connection there?

edndlm

Reaction score
The Ellenville base embossed blob should be from Ellenville Glassworks , Ellenville N.Y. I've only seen one other blob with that base embossing , which my friend JJ had & sold . The Ellenville Cylinder Whiskeys are much more plentiful .

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I believe it to be a branch bottler for the Alexandria based brewery of Robert Portner. TIVOLI (I LOV IT) was their flagship brand. Portner had branches all over the east coast. [sm=thumbup.gif]

surfaceone

Reaction score
And what does "Tivoli" represent?

Hey Plumb,

"Tivoli" just trips off the tongue, doesn't it. When I think of Tivoli, I think of the famous Copenhagen amusement park, Tivoli Gardens.

6a00d83451b0bd69e20105365445eb970b-800wi.jpg

There was an earlier Jardin de Tivoli, also a celebrated amusement park in Paris.

Musical-Entertainment-At-The-New-Tivoli-Gardens-Paris.jpg
From.

I believe it's usage in the Victorian era was one of celebration, and the high life. There were several breweries that used the Tivoli name.

Tivoli%20SF%20ad%201908.jpg
From.

Tivoli-Beer-Neck-Label-Labels-Tivoli-Brewing-Company_34156-1.jpg
Detroit.

dsc076623.jpg
dsc076642.jpg
Denver.

3640488_orig.jpg
Mike's New York.

treasurekidd

Reaction score
That's a nice one Taylor, I like that unique slug plate. That's one I've never seen before. Nice!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Stephen, it looks like there is a bold circle around the slugplate, though it isn't very prominent at the bottom. I have one other early blob that's similar in design to this one, also pretty rare!

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
Great looking bottle. I am faily certain that large H over the smaller on stand for Hastings & Hahn, who were bottle suppliers out of New York City. I have bottles with the same mark and same big plate listed from Baltimore, Philadelphia, Conn. , and now Rhode Island.

Info can be found at:

Hastings & Hahn

Anybody have any other beers with this base marking?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter