Henry William Stiegel Amethyst Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: George Ingraham
Quote from Wikipedia.
The presence of such a scar indicates that a glass bottle or bowl was blown freehand, while the absence of a punt mark suggests either that the mark has been obliterated or that the work was mold-blown.[1]
I think this Quote from wikipedia is in error. Am I mis-reading this or am I correct or just plain wrong? I belive / am sure that both freeblown and mold blown bottles can and do have pontil scars.

George Ingraham

Reaction score
Botlguy,

Coincidence that we both plucked that username out of thin air.. I use the username Bottleguy on another forum..

Again, I am not an expert, but believe your right about both freehand and mold blown bottles end up with the pontil scars.

I think the answer why some don't is in the second part of that Wikipedia quote..

"Some glassblowers grind a hollow into the base of their work, obliterating the natural punt scar. Where the base of the work is sufficiently heavy, the entire natural base can be sawed or ground flat. Where the base of the work is concave, after the punt has been broken from the work, the punt may be used to attach a small gather of hot glass over the punt scar, into which a maker's mark is impressed. "

As with my bottle, it undoubtably had a pontil scar, but was ground flat.

Glad your asking the question, and looking forward to hearing what others think..

I also have another question to ask..

If it is fair to list this as a Stiegel style, would anyone care to share what the value of this bottle might be.. If any :)

Clam

Reaction score
I don't think it was mentioned yet but in the current Heckler #98 auction item # 111 is the exact flask that started this thread (sorry for your misfortune George) but this one is real and will give you a good look at a Stiegel toilet flask (a least thats what it is called in my Stiegel book)

George Ingraham

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Clam

(sorry for your misfortune George)

Hey.. Not even a problem..

I was on a hunt for snuff bottles, and this one just sort of caught my eye..

Another of my first impression impulse purchases. Was sure it was not a snuff bottle.. Thought maybe a scent bottle, but really had absolutely no idea. Took a shot with a buy it now for 30 bucks.

Hey, I sure learned a few things in this thread though !

Greatly appreciate all the replies..

So, until the next wanna be bottle treasure comes along, will catch you all later !

I'm off to my early morning, online snuff bottle hunting ritual [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1