Here's a story for ya

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
Last Sunday, I went for a short hike on a local bike trail. On the return trip, I sat down on a park bench about 50 yards off Main st. Opened a coke and was just looking around when I noticed two rusty cans sticking out of the hill behind me! I had to look a little. So I stuck my knife into the dirt just to see what would happen. tink! I love that sound. I popped out a 1/2 pint kerr mason. I'm dying to find out what might be at the top of the hill, But I don't how to explain to passers by why I'm digging up a downtown park. [:mad:] Anyone had any similar experiences?

KentOhio

Reaction score
You could say you lost your watch there and you're trying to find it. Or maybe you're cleaning up the litter and trash as part of a community service.

IRISH

Reaction score
Tell them you dropped a 20 cent coin and are trying to find it [;)] , that's what a bloke I know said when he was found down a six foot deep hole somewhere he shouldn't have been [:D] .

kastoo

Reaction score
Darn, I hate when that happens! From what I know so far, two good places to dig are city parks...they both used to be dumps. Must be a common reclamation practice for cities! Is there an out of sight in the weeds place to dig in that park?

deepwoods

Reaction score
Dig - What got me into bottles was finding an amber ss Coca-Cola right in the middle of the creek while trout fishing in Oatka Creek,Caledonia N.Y. Btw the Rochester ss amber is one of the rarest.

IRISH

Reaction score
A lot of city parks where tips in most citys and big towns in Australia and I would think most other places in the world, made good sense to fill that swamp in the middle of your town with rubbish and then use the newly reclamed land as park (a lot/all of them are too unstable to build on). Some of the biggest public places in Melbourne are old tips.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Dig - I wanted to mention also,that theres agreat dump that one of our local hospitals is built upon - a friend of mine worked on the costruction project and told me so many stoneware bottles were poping out,he couldnt grab em all - the little devil on my shoulder keeps suggesting I do a guerilla night-time dig,but so far Ive been able to fend him off.

Tandy

Reaction score
In reply to what Irish has said, a large proportion of our parklands are old dumps.

See this URL: - www.geocities.com/bottledig/contents.html

That was a dig we had in 1993, and hot it was!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Tandy - Wow,what a dig. Now Im thinking of donning a set of coveralls and a hard hat posing as a water main repair man. Great photos and great bottles and stuff!

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Toronto,Canada is a dump from Front st to the lake,it would be an area about 1mile deep by 7miles long, maybe more.I'm sure all those Toronto diggers are into NEW BUILDINGS!!.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal