Highest youve paid for a bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: PrivyCheese

Intresting topic, I noticed that some of the serious collectors havnt said anything. You know who you are.....lol Me? I spent a $1000 on a ink. The guy was nice enough to let me have a peyment plan. Took a year to pay it off. He is a forum member and has done it for me more then once.

Seen some large cash change hands at the Baltimore show....Was at a Stoneware auction where one guy spent nearly $100,000 in one day on stoneware.
I dont get why someone wouldnt want to say how much they paid?..Do they think we're gonna steal their bottles or something?[8|]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carobran

I dont get why someone wouldnt want to say how much they paid?..Do they think we're gonna steal their bottles or something?[8|]
Some people don't want to hear that they're crazy for spending alot of money on a bottle, and others don't think it's any of your business what we do with our money...[;)]

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The amount of $$$ one spends has little to do with the level of enjoyment one gets from a given bottle. I've spent some pretty substantial sums but I get just as much of a kick adding to my labeled and embossed VT medicine collection ten and twenty bucks at a time. At the very highest end of the market (50K plus) the air is relatively thin but there are a startling number of collectors willing to shell out $1000 or more for their collections. In the end, two rules apply. First, and most importantly, buy what you like. Second, if you are hoping for a given bottle to increase in value over time, buy the very best (single) bottle you can afford at the given moment. It helps if said bottle is mint and of national (rather than regional) interest. I of course break that second rule every time I open my wallet for a VT medicine but that's the crazy collector in me placing desire before sensibility.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I spent $200,$100,$50,$75 on Ebay bottles. But it was all money I got from selling dug "seconds" and commons on Ebay. So I spent 0 dollars on bottles [:D]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've paid a little over $50 for a very rare local blob from my hometown. So far, that's the max.

But I'd have liked to pay more for other things: I bid $120 (and lost) on a labeled Nutley med, and I bid $190 (and lost) a jug from Orange.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to buy a local cider jug for $600... If I do, you'll hear about it... [;)]

carobran

Reaction score
I knoe none of my MS bottle will increase in value as there are a relatively low # of southern collectors compared to norther and esp. NJ collectors.Would i gladly pay $75 for a Kosciusko bottle when most MISS. collectore would only pay $50?..You bet i will!....but if i ever buy a very rare Ms bottle for thousands of dollars yall are gonna hear all about it,where i got it,from who,and how much i paid.[;)][;)]

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: carobran

Some people don't want to hear that they're crazy for spending alot of money on a bottle, and others don't think it's any of your business what we do with our money...[;)]
Im crazy.I know im crazy,and most other people know im cazy.......but if you think im sane......I,CAROBRAN,AM,WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT,....CRAZY. [8|]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

I've paid a little over $50 for a very rare local blob from my hometown. So far, that's the max.

But I'd have liked to pay more for other things: I bid $120 (and lost) on a labeled Nutley med, and I bid $190 (and lost) a jug from Orange.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to buy a local cider jug for $600... If I do, you'll hear about it... [;)]
what would you pay for this ?

91CC66DCC37B48ECBBED304F4D48E381.jpg

Attachments

• 91CC66DCC37B48ECBBED304F4D48E381.jpg
    91CC66DCC37B48ECBBED304F4D48E381.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 61

JohnN

Reaction score
The most I have paid for a bottle is $0. So far, I have dug all of my bottles.

div2roty

Reaction score
I've paid a $1,000 for a figural bitters and $2,400 for a nice salt glaze jug.

As a dealer I rarely talk about what I've paid for items. Even if I am selling it for little or no profit (or even a huge loss), I feel that the customers generally think you are lying to them. There are a few I'm close to that will believe me when I tell them I am selling them something for little or no profit.

For lots of people what they pay for items is a private matter, like how much their salary is.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn