Highest youve paid for a bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)] I traded around an around and sold a lot of different bottles, and then got enough to pay $1800.00 for an amber mint condition two roof Holtzermans stomach bitters, and an amber mint Browns Indian queen bitters for $700.00. I have found out since then that the bottles are worth just about what I paid for them, but I really liked them so that isnt important. I also (luckily) found and paid $60.00 dollars for the most crudest pontiled blobbiest topped sloppiest looking brown olive green mint most beautiful case gin in the world, like it as much as the bitters. Go figure I am crazy as a loon says some of my family members, I dont care I love Antique bottles all of em, the cruder the better...........

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Sometime, I'd like to visit that VT med collection. My Mom has a rather extensive VT bottle collection herself, nothing stoddard but about everything else that you can get from Vt.

As to paying, I bought a beautiful large size Bonney's barrel at Keene in 2010 for $550, most I've been able to afford for a bottle to date. Mostly, I pick at the lower edges of the ink category.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

The amount of $$$ one spends has little to do with the level of enjoyment one gets from a given bottle. I've spent some pretty substantial sums but I get just as much of a kick adding to my labeled and embossed VT medicine collection ten and twenty bucks at a time. At the very highest end of the market (50K plus) the air is relatively thin but there are a startling number of collectors willing to shell out $1000 or more for their collections. In the end, two rules apply. First, and most importantly, buy what you like. Second, if you are hoping for a given bottle to increase in value over time, buy the very best (single) bottle you can afford at the given moment. It helps if said bottle is mint and of national (rather than regional) interest. I of course break that second rule every time I open my wallet for a VT medicine but that's the crazy collector in me placing desire before sensibility.

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: beith_2005

The most I've spend on a single bottle is $600. Its like this you can't take it with you (money) so you might as well enjoy while your here.
I gotta ask.........was it a MS bottle??[;)]

Gromit0299

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: carobran

I dont get why someone wouldnt want to say how much they paid?..Do they think we're gonna steal their bottles or something?[8|]
Some people don't want to hear that they're crazy for spending alot of money on a bottle, and others don't think it's any of your business what we do with our money...[;)]

Someday he'll learn about that thing called tact. For now he's a curious young whipper snapper that doesn't understand that some subjects are sensitive to people.

Since I've never spent more than $15 on a bottle, I don't really care, but as for the serious collectors, it really isn't anyone's business how much they spent on a bottle. People have personal reasons for collecting, and a subject like that can get pretty hairy. ("You spent HOW MUCH on a bottle?" That would feed my family for a lifetime!!"). If someone has that kind of money, or say they saved a lifetime for their dream bottle, some people will never understand or agree.

Caro, a lot of the members give you grief, but use it as mini life's lessons. I say that gently and motherly.

carobran

Reaction score
I dont hesitate to ask this question now..........i wont hesitate to ask this question in 20 years.After all,dont you have to be a little bit crazy to be a bottle collector?[8|].......i think its absolutely crazy how some very serious collectors act like CIA agents.[8|][&:][:'(]

Gromit0299

Reaction score

I dont hesitate to ask this question now..........i wont hesitate to ask this question in 20 years.After all,dont you have to be a little bit crazy to be a bottle collector?[8|].......i think its absolutely crazy how some very serious collectors act like CIA agents.[8|][&:][:'(]

You have to understand that we come from all walks of life on this forum. What another person can or will spend, some won't. It can cause a heated debate, and really we're all here for one reason. The love of collecting. We love to show off our bottles, whether or not it's worth something to another person. After all, something is only worth what a person wants to pay. And to some, no matter what kind of bottle they have (worth a million or a penny), to them, their collection is priceless.

I get it, kid, you're curious... and stubborn. I have TWO of those running around my house. [:D]

carobran

Reaction score

... and stubborn. .
[/quote] Im the stubbornest person youll ever meet..........and will continue to be so. [8|][;)]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Others have mentioned this point, but its helps to save up and pool your money if you want to buy bottles and improve your collection . . .

When my wife and I were getting married, she expressed some concern that I would be spending family resources on antique glass. I made a deal with her that I would only buy bottles with funds from selling other bottles or things that I found. Since you can't control what it is that you find, you often find things that are not specifically what you collect. In theory, if you sell that stuff, you can turn it into things that you do. --- While this is a great theory, I often get attached to the items I find and only part with them years later when I need money to buy something else. Having said that, the system works reasonably well. I don't buy things that I can't afford. I try to sell off things that are taking up space. And I have some cash as a standby for when I need to improve my scuba gear . . .

Gromit0299

Reaction score

... and stubborn. .
 Im the stubbornest person youll ever meet..........and will continue to be so. [8|][;)]
[/quote]

You have obviously never met my 2.5 year old. And that's not including her typical toddler stubbornness. And she gets it from...her mother.

Brains

Reaction score
I might have paid $20 for a battery jar, or maybe $25 for a cobalt soda of some sort. My other interests command most of my.... uhh.... money, i guess.
Paid $110 for an insulator (that i tried to sell- couldn't sell... what ever...)
Paid $320 for an sks (best $320 spent)

I just can't justify spending too much money on bottles, i prefer to try to find them... which i rarely do

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc