HOLY SMOKES! A mind blowing Cathedral Pickle collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Kinda hard to call a winner. Tom bottle_head9 originally said $16000, but changed it to $38500. I said $28000, maybe I should win but I already own a Mackinac Island drugstore, so I'm going to give it to Tom. His first guess was close, he should have stuck with it. Shoot me your address Tom, I'll get it out sometime the first of this week..Bill

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said in the beginning there was a web site and this was just a bait and switch

It doesn't look that way, all the pickles are listed individually now, we get to watch them all over again!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Bottles-Insulators-/29797/i.html?item=320906500179&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab7849853&_ssn=flantiqueart2

I know I'll be bidding on a bunch of them, be interesting to see what they bring now

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of cathedral pickles in this post, does any Michigan collector out there have any info. on a pontilled cathedral pickle embossed "ROWE & CO." ? All I know is that they were a "fruit and oyster depot" located at 163 Jefferson Ave., Detroit, in 1852-53 time period.

GLOPTOP

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GLOPTOP

While we are on the subject of cathedral pickles in this post, does any Michigan collector out there have any info. on a pontilled cathedral pickle embossed "ROWE & CO." ? All I know is that they were a "fruit and oyster depot" located at 163 Jefferson Ave., Detroit, in 1852-53 time period.

GLOPTOP
Read thru this post Glop, I think it may help....Jim

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-129652/mpage-1/key-rowe/tm.htm#129652

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the link to the old post about this pickle "epackage". Actually, I have been aware of this particular pickle bottle since August 2006, when the owner emailed me asking for any info. that I might have, as he had heard that I owned one. He said he bought it with a group of bottles at either an auction or estate sale in Canada. His is the only other one that I have been able to account for, and they certainly were blown from the same mold. However, mine has a graphite pontil instead of the open pontil. Ralph Finch sent me what little info. that he was able to find, which was that Rowe & Co. were listed in Detroit in the early 1850's. Since this second example was found in Canada, across the border from Detroit, I tend to believe that these early bottles came out of Detroit, rather than Connecticut. They may very well have moved their operation to Conn. at a later date. I would still like to have more info. on Rowe & Co. during the Detroit era, but the information posted back in 2007 is very interesting and helpful. Would also be great to find out where these bottles were actually manufactured, they were both blown in a light cornflower blue color, which is fairly rare for a cathedral pickle bottle. Thanks again for the help.

GLOPTOP

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
Oh yes, forgot to mention that my example was dug from a turn-of-the-century dump in Battle Creek , Michigan about 40 years ago.

GLOPTOP

Poison_Us

Reaction score
This one is going nuts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DARK-GREEN-LARGE-WELLINGTON-CATHEDRAL-PICKLE-OPEN-PONTIL-15-/320906485340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab7845e5c

flasherr

Reaction score
These will be interesting to watch play out. But $35 shipping that should buy alot of insurance and bubble wrap

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: flasherr

These will be interesting to watch play out. But $35 shipping that should buy alot of insurance and bubble wrap
Was gonna say the same thing, some sellers are just flaming buttholes...[8|]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson