homemade probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
It's raining again today here in sunny california. Decided to make myself a new uglystick. Found this at home depo for $20.oo. spring steel.

Xv63994.jpg

Attachments

• Xv63994.jpg
    Xv63994.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 76

diginit

Reaction score
After cutting the rod down to 48". I found a stainless steel shaft and thumbscrew in the junkdrawer, I think a CASE HARDENED bolt cut to size would work just as well.
A 1/2' x 12" galvanized pipe drilled in the center with the ends cut off to 10".
I'm assuming this will be strong enough for my purposes- Stainless or spring steel would be better. NEVER USE WOOD FOR THE HANDLE! You will truly be shafted!

Ec87233.jpg

Picture reduced - Admin

diginit

Reaction score
I cut the stainless shaft slightly below the top
to remove any slop from the handle.

Fc90495.jpg

Attachments

• Fc90495.jpg
    Fc90495.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 78

diginit

Reaction score
This is what I ended up with. What do you think?

This site and/or myself in no way holds any responsibility for injury from use of this item. If you make and use this item-do so at your own risk.

Nl29829.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29829.jpg
    Nl29829.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Nl29829.jpg
    Nl29829.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 74

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey diginit. This looks great! Very inventive...I was looking to get or make a probe. I'm wondering if, when you try it out, you will post the results in this thread? Thanks for the details and pics.

diginit

Reaction score
Seems pretty good in backyard tests. I can now safely say that there no bottles in my backyard. A little flimsy at 48",but springs back well. I'll cut it down 2" tomorrow.
Then go from there. I'll let you know.

If using a bolt to attatch the handle in order to to avoid handle failure during removal of the probe:
Failure to do so could result in the placement of strange objects into odd places on your person.
After cutting the bolt slightly shorter than needed(about 1/64th")
Insert the bolt in the adapter with the handle attatched and tighten the allen screws to mark the bolt.
Do not overtighten allen screws-Ever!
Remove the bolt and drill the 2 marks slightly closer to the bolt head. This will draw the bolt tighter on the handle while tightening the allens the final time. Use 1 of the allens screws as a depth guage while drilling. Don't go too deep.
Bolt shown here is only an example. Actual drilling locations may vary.
The hole drilled in the bolt head is for a safety wire and may be overkill.
Hopefully I can show you the results of my labor in the Before 1900's forum.

Yw68002.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68002.jpg
    Yw68002.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 89

diggerjeff

Reaction score
greenlee also makes a real probe . i have only seen them in larger electrical supply stores, they cost about 24.00. i bought one a few years ago. they work fairly well and are fiberglass, so they are insulated. you guys be carefull when you probe, find were the electric comes in if your digging backyards. put some bicycle grips on your probe handles incase you probe a buried power wire!!

diginit

Reaction score
Wow. I think Greenlee sales are going to go up. Fiberglass, I'll check it out.
The grips are a great idea. I made this probe so I can remove the handle.
That "T" configuration is too obvious at times.
The new stick seems to work pretty well. It pinged perfectly.

Ca81030.jpg

nitedigger

Reaction score
I've got a 4ft. fiberglass probe that I bought from EGW utilities.It's super hard to push into the ground because it's as big around as your index finger.It is also hard to distinguish glass from bricks,rocks,etc.just by sound.My favorite probe is one that I made myself.The shaft is made from a 3.5 foot length of spring steel whip cb antenna.For a tip,I brazed an 1/8th inch pipe plug on to the end and ground it to a point.The handle is made from a hollow galvanized fencepost 1ft. long.It makes a really nice sound and it's easy to build with stuff from around the shop.

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Whats the best diameter to use when making or building a probe? I read in earlier threads that thinner is best for beginner and someone even said they like theirs 1/2" in diameter and everyone seems to agreee about insulating the handles and applying a collar around the tip so they dont sink too easy.

BOB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter