Hoping to learn about Frostie-like bottle found in crawl space

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
This 1940 census document is the closest I have found that is related to the 1939 date.

George H. Rackensperger - Part Owner Beverage Company (Cantonsville)

Bob

Attachments

• Rackensperger 1940 Census.jpg
    Rackensperger 1940 Census.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 54

SODABOB

Reaction score
Even though I can't say for certain, based on what I have seen so far I'm starting to suspect that George Rackensperger's first beverage was not Old Fashion Root Beer or Frostie Root Beer. I'm okay with the 1939 start date as a bottler, but now I'm leaning toward the possibility that between c1939 and c1941 he bottled some other beverages - one of which that may have been Nickel Soda. It is not entirely uncommon for someone to claim a certain start-date for a particular product, but what they really mean is when they started as a business.

The search continues!

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
This link is where I found the reference to Nickel Soda (page 49) as well as a lot more information about the Rackensperger family ...

Bob

Attachments

• Frostie George Rackensperger.jpeg
    Frostie George Rackensperger.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 58

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to the article I just posted a link to, Joseph Nitsch was George Rackensperger's original partner in the soft drink business. Attached is Joseph Nitsch's 1940 census document where we see "Salesman Soft Drink Company"

Bob

Attachments

• Nitsch 1940 Census.jpg
    Nitsch 1940 Census.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 44

SODABOB

Reaction score
I hope I'm not overdoing things, but this might be the first time that any of us has taken a close look at Frostie bottles. At first I was like everyone else and thought that all of the Frostie bottles had the word Frostie on them. But now we know differently thanks to member justonebottle. My latest discovery is kind of strange and I'm still trying to make sense of it. It pertains to a bottle opener I found that has Canton Ginger Ale on it and is from Cantonsville, Maryland. What's unique about it is that the bathing lady sort of looks like the lady on the Frostie bottles and paper labels. At first I thought it was a fluke until I found this item on eBay that says the same thing - although the seller describes it as being from 1929 ...

https://shorturl.at/dlq78

I wonder if the Ginger Ale lady and the Frostie lady are one and the same?

Bob

Attachments

• Cantonsville Bottle Upener.jpg
    Cantonsville Bottle Upener.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Cantonsville Bottle Opener (3).jpg
    Cantonsville Bottle Opener (3).jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Cantonsville Bottle Opener (2).jpg
    Cantonsville Bottle Opener (2).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Frostie Paper Label.jpg
    Frostie Paper Label.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Canton Ginger Ale Ad Cantonsville MD.jpg
    Canton Ginger Ale Ad Cantonsville MD.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 51

SODABOB

Reaction score
Stay tuned for this one that I'm still working on. It's the only one like it that I have been able to find. Notice it doesn't have a label of any type, but it does have Cantonsville Bottling embossed on the shoulder. I have seen at least a hundred early Frostie bottles - but none of the examples I've seen have the embossed shoulder like this one. I wonder what the story is behind it? I don't think it's an ACL (Applied Color Label) that has worn off. I will let you know if/when I find anything else about it. I also attached a sampling of various Frostie bottles to compare with the one that has the embossed shoulder.

Bob

Attachments

• Frostie Bottle Unmarked.jpg
    Frostie Bottle Unmarked.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Frostie Bottles.jpg
    Frostie Bottles.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the record - Frostie Old Fashion (First use June 1942)

Bob

Attachments

• Frostie First Use 1942.png
    Frostie First Use 1942.png
    957 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

shadeone

Reaction score
Sodabob, great research!!
I don't know if you remember, but you had previously looked up some Frostie stuff for me a while ago.
Here was the final timeline we came up with. I made some edits since I did find a 1946 bottle of "Frostie Old Fashioned Tasty Creamy Root Beer"

FROSTIE ROOT BEER TIMELINE

1939 = Catonsville Bottling Company established in Catonsville, Maryland. First location was in the Jail portion (basement) of the old Catonsville Firehouse located at 22 Bloomsbury Avenue:
Z25iLJ.png

1939 = Catonsville Bottling bottled "Nichol Kola" - "Tasty Beverages" - "Catonsville Beverages":
TFWtjO.jpg

1940 = Bottling operation continues at 22 Bloomsbury Avenue.

1941 = Moved from 22 Bloomsbury Ave. in Catonsville to 6426 Edmondson Avenue in Catonsville.

1942 = First use of "Frostie" name "in commerce" according to patent office documents

1946 = First commercially produced and bottled "Frostie Old Fashioned Tasty Creamy Root Beer" (That we know of so far)
Gjv0Zr.jpg

1947 = The Frostie Company established.

Last edited:

shadeone

Reaction score
This article from a 1952 issue of National Bottlers Gazette mentions that Frostie was first franchised "6 years ago" (1946):

I also found this glass online in a couple places, but no date on them:
N4Jzbw.jpg

With regards to the bottle itself, there is also a version that has clear corners instead of the dark brown filled in corners like the one that this thread is about. I snagged this picture off of facebook with no further information on it unfortunately:
4uTdqy.jpg

shadeone

Reaction score
August 1st, 1945 Baltimore Sun classified ad indicates it was still being called just "Old Fashion" root beer:
4zdfk2.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin