Hoping to learn about Frostie-like bottle found in crawl space

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

justonebottle

Reaction score
This is definitely a Frostie Root Beer bottle and should be from around 1945 or maybe a little earlier. Are there any markings on the bottom?
It was originally just "old fashion root beer" before they named it Frostie. Not sure of when the switch was made but it was probably due to other brands having the words "old fashioned" in their name like "Dad's Old Fashioned" and "Ma's Old Fashioned".
I have more detailed Frostie info on my other computer, I'll check and post more here soon!

Here's an ad from the Montgomery County Sentinel, out of Rockville, Maryland from Thursday, October 05th, 1944:
sA5iFg.jpg

Frostie's creator, George Rackensperger worked at Catonsville Bottling.
The earliest bottle I have personally had with the Frostie name was from 1946 and was bottled at Kelly Bottling Works in Frederick MD.
Ha that's so cool. Thank you! The Sentinel is still around. I only know about a Kelly Bottling Works in Havre De Grace, MD. The main thing Frederick boasts is an old Coca-Cola plant. Very ironically, it's now a dentist's office.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Even though these attachments don't tell the whole story, they tell some of it. As shadeone indicated, the bottle itself should have some marks on the base and possibly a date. As near as I can determine they switched from "Old Fashion Root Beer" to "Frostie Old Fashion Root Beer" sometime between 1944 and 1947.

Bob

Attachments

• Old Fashion 1944_Montgomery_County_Sentinel_Thu__Oct_5__1944_.jpg
    Old Fashion 1944_Montgomery_County_Sentinel_Thu__Oct_5__1944_.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Frostie 1947_The_Evening_Sun_Thu__Oct_9__1947_.jpg
    Frostie 1947_The_Evening_Sun_Thu__Oct_9__1947_.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Old Fashion 1947 Letter.jpg
    Old Fashion 1947 Letter.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 73

THE BEAR

Reaction score
We bought a 100-year-old house in the Baltimore area (maybe 30 minutes from Catonsville) in April, and we've been doing some removal of the ground floor flooring to address termites and encapsulate the crawl space. My husband texted me today that he found a soda bottle beneath our kitchen subfloor, which we plan to remove in entirety later this month. Per Google, it looks like a Frostie bottle from the Catonsville Bottling Company, but it doesn't say Frostie. There's some stuff on it (maybe some kind of compound from the floor?), but the label looks to be in good shape. I think it just has been sitting down there. For all I know, there may be others if they had a case or something. There's a good bit of trash we have found below the other floors.

Is this a Frostie bottle? Or rather, did Catonsville Bottling Company bottle what would later be Root Beer before adopting the Frostie name?
Does anyone know more about it?
Thank you :)

View attachment 247366View attachment 247365

THE BEAR

Reaction score
We bought a 100-year-old house in the Baltimore area (maybe 30 minutes from Catonsville) in April, and we've been doing some removal of the ground floor flooring to address termites and encapsulate the crawl space. My husband texted me today that he found a soda bottle beneath our kitchen subfloor, which we plan to remove in entirety later this month. Per Google, it looks like a Frostie bottle from the Catonsville Bottling Company, but it doesn't say Frostie. There's some stuff on it (maybe some kind of compound from the floor?), but the label looks to be in good shape. I think it just has been sitting down there. For all I know, there may be others if they had a case or something. There's a good bit of trash we have found below the other floors.

Is this a Frostie bottle? Or rather, did Catonsville Bottling Company bottle what would later be Root Beer before adopting the Frostie name?
Does anyone know more about it?
Thank you :)

View attachment 247366View attachment 247365
Also go to the attic and look down the wall studs. Found many bottles in walls.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Is this the first Old Fashion Root Beer bottle? Everything indicates that Old Fashion / Frostie originated in 1939. This particular ad is from ...

Shamokin, Pennsylvania April 22, 1939

Bob

Attachments

• Old Fashion Root Beer 1939 Shamokin, Pa..png
    Old Fashion Root Beer 1939 Shamokin, Pa..png
    554.3 KB · Views: 57

SODABOB

Reaction score
It turns out the slogan "The Kind That Mother Used To Make" belonged to "Ma's Old Fashion Root Beer" and not Frostie. So the 1939 ad and sign I posted earlier are for Ma's - although it's strange that neither the ad or the sign mention Ma's. This link is to a Ma's bottle on eBay ...

https://shorturl.at/ghpvY

However, the wood crate I posted a link to earlier could very well be related to Frostie. Notice it has "Tri County Bottling Co. Elkridge, MD" on it. The attached Frostie bottle is from that bottler - although I do not know the date of the crate or the bottle. Even though there are tons of sources that claim Frostie originated in 1939, I can not find an actual bottle that early. Not an Old Fashion or a Frostie. All of this intrigues me and it would be interesting to find a bottle that confirms the 1939 date.

Bob

Attachments

• Frostie Bottle Elkridge Maryland Front.jpg
    Frostie Bottle Elkridge Maryland Front.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Frostie Bottle Elkridge Maryland Back.jpg
    Frostie Bottle Elkridge Maryland Back.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. - Slogans for future reference ...

(All three of which include Old Fashion Root Beer)

Ma's = The Kind That Mother Used to Make
Old Fashion = Just Like Grandma Used to Make
Frostie = Tasty-Creamy You'll Love It!

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of the 1939 date ...

It is mentioned in the attached article from 1952. It also has some additional information of interest.

Bob

Attachments

• Frostie Article 1952.jpg
    Frostie Article 1952.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie