Horror story!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scduckett

Reaction score
I'm a home health nurse who has the opportunity to travel in outlying areas and see several older homes and homesites. I've been "casing out" several for future reference to possibly dig for the outhouse (that's privy to you Yankees). I had a patient who told me her house was over 100 years old. Naturally I asked her if she knew where the outhouse had been. She replied, "Well, you know, it's funny you should ask because when we moved in here, there was a depression over there by the back fence. It took us two months to dig up all the trash AND BOTTLES that was in there." [:eek:]I could have fainted on the spot!!! I asked her what they did with all of it and she said her brother took it "off somewhere". When I asked her if he would remember where he took it, she said, "Lord, honey, he's had Alzmer's (she meant Alzheimer's) for the last few years and don't even know what day it is". Thought I'd share this story with ya'll. Sweet dreams!!!
Susan

IRISH

Reaction score
That's frustrating hey [:mad:] , a bit like when we had a bloke do a bit of excavating here and I mentioned bottles, he said that he had dug a heap of them the day before in Fitzroy (very old suburb of Melbourne) and described what could only be some very good bottles, when I asked what he had done with them (ready to drive the hour to Fitzroy [:D] ) he said that they had put them next to the hole and someone put them in a rubbish skip [:(] [:mad:] .

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey yall, I guess we all have our horror stories. Pitfinder was talking to a 90 year old gentleman who used to live by the site we are now digging. The site was abandoned in 1890. This gentleman related how he and his friends used to disobey their parents when they were small boys, take their sling shots to the site, line up row after row of pretty colored bottles and see who was the best shot![:(] Sometimes they would just throw rocks at them at point blank range to watch them explode![:'(] Hey.... boys will be boys, right??? AARRGAAHH!!! Happy Diggin, Kelley [:D]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
[&:] My turn...a friend and I were talking and I told him I collected old cork top bottles and he said.."I better not tell you this story then." And naturally I said.."You have to now!"...so he said "When I was a boy, I lived about 20 miles from a real old gold mining boom town that burnt to the ground many years ago..the Chinese laborers used to live in the basements of the houses and when the town burnt, the houses collapsed on top of the floors (ceilings) of the basements protecting them from the fire...when they started to rebuild the house years later they uncovered the almost intact household goods and OPIUM BOTTLES and VIALS and Chinese BOTTLES....I used to dig around in the ruble and I found many old Chinese bottles and vials...one day I got bored and took my 22 rifle and the box of bottles up on the hill and....[:eek:][&:][:(]....need I say more? Anyone know what those opium bottles might have been worth today?

And may I ask a question here...I went antique store browsing on Memorial Day and bought a Crisco glass jar...has anyone ever seen one before aand if so any idea what it's worth? If you tell me over $8.00 I'll be haappy..although I am happy with it now on display on my shelf regardless of book value. Thank you...

The Doc....[X(]

leebran20

Reaction score
Hey Dr.J: We find many opium bottles in Hawaii due to all the Chinese immigrants we had come over to Hawaii. Here, they tend to reach about 5-10 bucks each retail at most for the common types, but unusual shapes and some with embossing can fetch more. You can find them on eBay too.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1