How Do I Find Out?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I've been wondering lately if there was ever a bottle made for my home town of Edinburg, NY. I just find it completely odd that there's an old glasshouse located in Edinburg and yet no evidence of a bottle with the town name on it whatsoever. I was also thinking about starting a large locals collection of all the pre1900's bottles. I'd like to start cataloging all of the different towns in the area that I possibly can that have embossed bottles and maybe make a blog or webpage on the subject. Any ideas on where to get started? Thanx, Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
Very cool site. I bookmarked it. I'll have to add some more bottles to their list soon. Thanx for the link. Swiz

druggistnut

Reaction score
Hey Swiz,
Try to buy this book, it will probably have what you are looking for in it.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VYDbGwAACAAJ&dq=edinburg+New+york&hl=en&ei=px_jTeDaDaP40gH8mvmsBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBA

Bill

swizzle

Reaction score
I believe I own the book. I'll have to hunt it down. Maybe its time to start asking around town to get access to local privies. The museum should be opening up soon too. Time to go visit my bottles again. [:)]

swizzle

Reaction score
I did find out that there was a distillery that opened up withing walking distance of my parents house. It dates back to 1801. I'm not sure yet how many years it operated. any ideas what kind of bottles I should expect to find from a distillery that old? Swiz

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I would imagine all nice black glass if they bottled any. It may have been all barreled though.
Ellithorp Distillery 1802 then Tanneries until 1900

[font="arial,helvetica"]Ely Beecher was one of the most prominent individuals in the affairs of this town during its early existence. He was a young man, connected with John Fay in a store at the Fish House, or, more properly, Northampton. He married there Diadama, a daughter of Sylvanus Westcot, and moved to Beecher's Hollow about 1802. He bought the Isaac Denning grist-mill, and built a store a little northwest of the present store occupied by T.D. Yates. He was a very stirring, energetic, and clear headed business man, and his ventures were generally well planned and successful. He also purchased the Ellithorp distillery, which stood on the site now occupied by Cameron's tannery. In 1808 he owned the first carding-mill. This was afterwards, in 1817, replaced by a larger one, but the business declined, the machinery was disposed of, and the building is now used as a cabinet-shop. In 1827 he built the present brick grist-mill on the site of the old one. In 1825 he built the present store. He was quite prominent in town politics, and was supervisor seventeen years, and served in several other offices. His family consisted of eleven children, all of whom are numbered with the dead. He has but three living descendants bearing his name. George and Emma Beecher, his grandchildren by his son Callender, live in Saratoga Springs, and Emily Beecher, daughter of Ely T. Beecher, lives in Northville, Fulton Co. Beecher's creek and Beecher's Hollow were named after this pioneer, and perpetuate his name and fame. He died in 1865, at the age of eighty-eight, full of years, honored and respected by his fellow-townsmen.[/font] FROM

swizzle

Reaction score
Yup, there's a bit of history in that little section known as beechers hollow. Grew up there catching crayfish and selling them to my gram for the baitshop. The hollow is small and compact. Its surprising how hard it is to find an older dump then a TOC in the area. I'm gonna put an ad in the local paper and try to get some places to dig. Thanx, for the info. Swiz

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4