how do I get tar out?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hbgpabottles

Reaction score
As a career fireman who has seen it all...just a reminder when using solvents and combustibles do it outdoors, use face/eye splash protection, rubber gloves and for gods sake keep away from ignition sources...you know I'd never remind you all if I hadnt seen the results first hand. Be safe.... Next you'all have me tellin you about how many folks I've had to 'recover' from trench accidents! Yep I'm a digger too!

luckiest

Reaction score
Lighter fluid has been in the bottle for two weeks with no results so far.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: luckiest

I have had wd-40 in the bottle for a while with no results, andwater didn't disolve the tar, just softened it when it was warm. Turpintine didn't work but I have yet to try gas, thats what my money is on. Being a non-driver gas is never around the house...

White gas is the ticket AKA Colman fuel I used it on a USA Hospital bottle I dug. It was filled with tar and waxy junk.Its the only thing that worked. Listen to fireman Bill don't blow your self up[8D]

I had to keep the gas in the bottle for 3 days,but it worked.

08E1AA809A464F0BA7AD8A130C648523.jpg

Attachments

• 08E1AA809A464F0BA7AD8A130C648523.jpg
    08E1AA809A464F0BA7AD8A130C648523.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 85

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: stumpknocker

I know for sure this worked for a friend. Buy paint remover in gel form. Put the gel in the bottle filling haft of bottle that is tar free and then allow it to stand for two weeks. After two weeks take a wooden dowel rod and stir the gel and weakened tar together then pour out all content the will come out and fill with new clean gel. Repeat process ever two week till tar is completely gone. In my friend case it took eight week to get the whole bottle tar free. Hope this will help you. Let us know how it goes.

Paint remover gets hot,it will brake glass.I wouldn't use it on a $$$$$ bottle.

athometoo

Reaction score
i work in an asphalt refinery , aka shingle manufacturer . we deal with raw asphalt(called flux) and we process into asphalt . we also use 3 other asphalt type products . what we use here to remove it from tools and such is an orange oil type cleaner . wd40 will work but takes a long time on hardened stuff . try using an orange peel oil base cleaner . works for us everyday . just a thought . and just an fyi for everbody , when we process flux into asphalt we use air from big blower to create a cyclone effect and the friction of the oil(flux) rubbing together heats it to 550 degrees. that seperates the light oil which we syphon off and the finished product is asphalt . the longer you cook it the higher the meltpoint is (less light oil in it) kind of like making fudge . also flux used to make it is the left over sludge trash stuff that oil companies have left over from converting crude oil . after they pull everything useful out of crude whatever is left is sold for asphalt making . just thought somepeople would like too know . sam

KBbottles

Reaction score
Wish I read this last night before I cleaned out a neat bottle that had a cap on it. Took the cap off and got gunk all over the tub! :( Even some of the other bottles I was cleaning got a film all over them. Took a lot of dish detergent but finally got it all clean.

luckiest

Reaction score
Well, I got it all out, I used "Foam-off" worked well once I got enough tar out to fit the stuff in, I had to run the bottle under a hot tap and pull out the tar with a coat hanger bent into a hook. After a few days and a bit of work It came out. Crazy stuff though, I put some into the cracks in the walkway in the garden, still good for something.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen