How do you suggest i clean this???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dario

Reaction score
We typically soak stuf in Oxolic Acid (mixed in water of course), or Lye in water. We being the Insulator guys. DO NOT MIX THE TWO TOGETHER....BIG BOOM BOOM IF YOU DO. You can get Oxolic at the pharmacy and Lye at the plumbing store.

I bought bottle brushes at the Keene bottle show for cleaning the inside of bottles. I have also used small BB's or buckshot by spilling them inside and shaking it around. I use a sugar sifter to retain the BB's when I am done cleaning the bottles.

There is also a great description on ICON ( http://www.insulators.info/ ) that tells how to clean insulators that I am sure would apply to most bottles. I know the only time we use Lye in lieu of Oxolic is on carnival glass insulators. The Lye will not harm the carnival coating, but the Oxolic acid will.

Be sure to read all the safety stuff on the chemicals. Some of them eat up metal and need propoer handling and storage. Use rubber gloves, goggles, and read the instructions on even the sequence of mixing.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Have you tried while the soak has it softened shaking some sand and small pebbles around in it? That's a good start, maybe a finish too.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
try a palmful of sandy dirt, fill halfway with water, cork it, and shake for a minute or two... rinse, and enjoy..

rodus

Reaction score
I like to use used coffee grounds, same concept as the sand above, i'm going to try some sand next time and see how it works.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Cat litter. I have only tried the clay kind, and though it does get muddy, a couple cycles of that with a little water does help. There is a silica kind of litter. I haven't tried that yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday