how much damage is to much if bottle is a rare one

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jbucko8886

Reaction score
found this damaged bottle but i think it is a rare one says calumet bottling works r.t. harvey . its a pint size horse shoe. says 29x on bottom. how much damage can a rare bottle have before it kills its vaue. and any info on bottle will be great
received_1260914091026075[1].jpeg
received_369708487977961[1].jpeg

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
We have all seen damaged bottles sell. Rare 1 of a kind bottles sell when damaged. Depends on the collector and their collection, on how much a bottle sells for.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I see it listed on Hutchbook.com as rare. I've got the round slug plate version, it's the actually Bottle in Pic 2 on Hutchbook Website. I've seen it a few times as round slug plate but never seen the horseshoe or tombstone slug plate version so I'd guess that's much tougher. For me no such thing as to bad of shape, I've got some pretty rare ones in pretty bad shape. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm not sure value is ever fully killed if it's rare enough, it's more a question of how much value it loses. Someone recently posted an Ebay auction on here where an iron pontil soda was bid up to $400 despite being shattered into ten pieces. Yours is rough enough that it will have lost a lot of its value, but intact enough that it will retain some despite the condition assuming that it's a very desirable bottle, which it sounds like it is.

epackage

Reaction score
If a local needs one then it'll sell pretty well in that condition, don't go by rarity on hutchbook though, Ron relies on people in the know to email him and tell him about rarity, that doesn't happen very much any longer. Many of the bottles on his website can now be "scarce" or even "common" thanks to the internet, yours may truly be scarce making a local want it, good luck...

SoCal_bottle

Reaction score
"Someone recently posted an Ebay auction on here where an iron pontil soda was bid up to $400 despite being shattered into ten pieces."

I saw that auction.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2