I don't get ebay any advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: nhpharm

On lower end stuff, I have had very good luck listing it with a fair Buy-It-Now. A lot of people don't want to wait 7 days watching an auction for a $5 or $10 or $15 bottle, but if they like it and see it and there is a Buy-It-Now on it, they just might grab it.
All of the advice listed above is good but I like this one best for myself. I will take this advice.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

It might also help to have the name on the bottle spelled correctly in your title, you need to pay attention to detail. It's NOT "W.H.L. Larue", it's "W.H. Larue", anyone searching just "W.H. Larue" might miss it.....DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS, take the extra few seconds to reread what you have written, and when you realize you made a mistake after you have listed get right back on Ebay and fix the mistakes...[;)]

I've had to go back many times and redo wording, title or pictures to get it right....We've all been there.
Now that I took the time to look for this bottle it turns out it's actually W.R. Larue, so I think you really need to change the title if you want the most amount of buyers to see what you have...

jays emporium

Reaction score
Since you started the auctions you might as well let them run but you can click on REVISE YOUR ITEM and correct the mistakes, change the starting bid price and whatever else you have learned from the above comments. Especially get rid of that word Pontil, that is completely wrong and people looking at your listings will think you are either stupid or intentionally trying to mislead them.

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Thank you . I really appreciate the advice you gave me. And thanks for not making me feel like a bigger fool than I already do. I actually have been researching bottle history , types, styles tops . bottoms , colors, companies, lettering , symbols & numbers on bases .... etc. etc..
And it has done exactly what you said...only confused and overwhelmed me majorly. Not to mention some of those tops /finishes are so similar , I can't tell the difference between blob top and... can't even remember the name of other, no matter how many times I refer to the charts w/ examples. I glad you differentiated how a bottle cannot be dug and mint...I have to laugh at myself now.
There is just so much to learn. I just like digging them up from farm I grew up on. Didn't care about as a kid but great pastime now.. away from cells , T.V.'s and computers. Cheap stress relief .
back to subject at hand... I did clean them up and switched pics , have to go back and revise prices , wording and just about eveything on all ebay ads I have ...this was supposed to be fun. Kidding . It is. Despite my efforts, I wasn't sure about anything I described . What an idiot I am. Thanks again for your good, sound advice. ..and brutal honesty. FYI - reason I thought soda bottle valuable was because haven't been able to find any others anywhere, very little on the LaRue Bottling Co. I just happen to know @ it existance because our childhood home only a few fields over from it. So , guess I can't go by rarity , or obscure unheard of names like I thought. Another eye opener . You've been very helpful.
I am still sure some of my bottles dug there, (not on ebay), are really really old. Happy digging to you as well.

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Will do. If I were back in school , I think I 'd flunk every test. For as many times as I checked /rechecked that great historic/antique bottle website w/ glossary, dating , tops ,bottoms, colors .. and on and on..I am still not getting it right, if I can remember what I just referred to at all!
Thank you . Everyone on this website has been extremely kind , forgiving and helpful...think I'll crawl in a hole now though.

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I have a bad habit of getting letters and numbers mixed up. If you only knew how many times I had to get up to look again at the lettering on bottle , so I would get it right, yet still got it wrong ...you would laugh , well you probably are. I have been going through your suggestions and revising accordingly. I feel like a moron. This is very involved and somewhat confusing. Thank you much. Everyone has been great , helpful and patient with me. All advice has been good. I have much to learn. Thanks.

botlenut

Reaction score
Hello, As a long time seller on Ebay, I thought I would add a few things. In general buyers on Ebay, are looking for a deal. If you have dug the bottle, or bought it for a price you were comfortable with, just start it at 4.99, and let it roll. Be confident. An opening bid on a bottle thats dug, shouldnt be so high. I watch people list bottles with high opening bids, and its been proven over and over, that they will get fewer bids through the auction, if any at all. Bidders seem to prefer bidding it up from a few bucks, then they do paying a set price just to open it. If your afraid you might lose money on something, use a bare minimum reserve, and let them bid on it. Buyers are tuned into details like shipping cost, and an accurate description. Some people wont even bid, if your shipping is high by a couple dollars. I also run a quick search, to make sure there is not another of the same bottle on currently. Once you get used to doing the listings, you will be able to fly through them. Take the time to learn the bottle terms, people want to buy from someone who knows what they are selling. Hope this helps some. Just my 2 cents.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I think, for whatever reason, that a low opening bid seems to foster the best action. A bottle can sit for two weeks with no movement, but once someone bids, it often seems to take on a life of it's own. Perhaps buyers are out there waiting to snap it up at the last minute for a minimum bid, I dunno.

As a buyer, I will often not look very hard at a bottle with a high min bid, even if it's near what I think it's worth. I've been watching a paul's safety ink that they want about what I'm willing to pay, but have held off b/c it's near what I consider the value and it's in England and will cost more to ship. In that time, I bid on a similar but differently sized version, which went more than this one price wise, to someone other than me.

Start with low opening bids, and let it rip. You can always set a low, reasonable reserve.

Jim G

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I've been trying to figure out ebay people , what works and what doesn't . I greatly appreciate the inside tips . I have to revise all my ads , get my descriptions correct, upload new pics w/ my dug bottles cleaned, ( that would be nice), and lower start bids etc. Thank you again for your good advice. I can use all the help I can get !

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Thank you...Thank you... thank you. I had no idea how helpful everyone on this forum could be. Thank you for taking the time to lend me your advice as well. As soon as I get a few extra minutes , I plan to revise all ads according to the suggestions I received ,which were all were similar to yours. It's pretty obvious from responses that's what I need to do. Thank you again.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen