I dug a privy and found...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
that will happen from time to time. i would say 1 in 10 i dig have very little or nothing in them. i started as a dump digger,and had good luck . when i started digging privies, my luck got alot better. do not be discouraged.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Ya, that's a bummer man. I haven't dug my first privy yet. I just ordered Digger O'dell's Secrets of Privy digging so hopefully that will get me started and I can dig a privy before the summer is over. Has anyone ever read it? Jeff? Anyone?

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, It's a bummer all right. First privey I dug way back when was loaded and I figured they would all be that way. Unfortunatlely the second one I dug with a buddy and it was 18ft deep and empty. I almost croaked. It was in the oldest part of town {1500s}and had been cleaned out.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
I have not dug too many privies....but the ones I have dug have not been that great....I recently dug a privy in the city and it was loaded with goodies....I think urban privies have more to offer than country privies, people in the city had limited places to discard their trash......

DF

lexdigger

Reaction score
Digging privies isn't for the weak hearted. It's not all glass and glory! Alot of times you'll get into older pits that have been dipped of all but shards and even more often you'll find pits that are loaded with newer junk. It's the ones that are loaded with good old bottles that make it worth all the fruitless searches. I was once told by some older bottle diggers that only one out of every 100 or so is a pit that pays off. All the rest are just putting you that much closer to the one you're looking for. You definatly want to try to find yards in downtown areas with the original property line. The smaller yards seem to have even more bottles and stuff in the pits. Keep at it and you'll find a good one! Chris Capley

Mike O

Reaction score
Hey at least you are out and digging!!!!

Willman669

Reaction score
All i found was a tiny piece of pottery, a tiny piece of green glass, a few bits of wire and hundreds of rocks.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli