I have a confession to make

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheBombersDream

Reaction score
I was late for work today because I decided to start re arranging a bottle display at 5am. I had to come up with an excuse because know one would understand if I told them the truth. Am I sick?
I feel better getting the truth out there. lol????

botlguy

Reaction score
You are sick. You've been bitten by the bottle bug and it gives you a incurable disease. I've had it for 50 years, it goes dormant sometimes but always comes back. Just learn to live with it. Jim (Cough Cough)

botlguy

Reaction score
You are sick. You've been bitten by the bottle bug and it gives you a incurable disease. I've had it for 50 years, it goes dormant sometimes but always comes back. Just learn to live with it. Jim (Cough Cough)

sandchip

Reaction score
You were right to come here because only we would understand. Hell, some folks look at me weird enough when I tell them I collect old bottles. Can't imagine what their reaction would be to your situation! Well, how'd your display turn out?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well guys, I have had the sickness for 77 years, and two recent additions have me blown out of my old age - ready to dance with these bottles. One is an early 3part molded med with a plastered glass seal applied to the shoulder. and pressed with "ODILL B OLiIVERTO" over "/J.H. OLIVER" over "/ & SONS ', over "/ POLITEPROIE " - i think. All of the letters are hard to identify. The bottle was empontilled for a neat tooled -beveled top edge and a reduced 1/4" flat band finish.. The other bottle is an early 3-mold beer bottle with heavy side seams on the neck, that you can feel on the inside, whifch is conventional for three molded bottles - though no one can tell me why that happens. RED Matthews A devoted collector of hand blown glass.

TheBombersDream

Reaction score
Lol I figured the folks here would understand. Even my wife looks at me odd when she catches me fondeling an old bottles.
The display came out well. For some reason it started to few "unbalanced". So many cobalts in ine spot or something lol. I'll post a shot when I get home. My bottles are actually on display hair salon my wife and I run. It gives everyone a chance to enjoy them. It's actually great to see non "bottle people" getting excited over them.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I re-arrange mine all the time. I even took some old locals to work to display on my desk. Sickness? LOL!
I don't consider it a sickness but more a passion.
And there is really something I get out of holding one and really inspecting the embossing or researching the business. It fascinates me to dig up a bottle embossed with a dairy or pharmacy that has been out of business since the early 19th century. It makes my 90 year old mother feel young when I tell her I have bottles older than her. Haha.
Holding a pre-prohibition beer bottle. That is history man.
My wife and kids poke fun but guess who asked me for some old Dairy's to put flowers into or took some of my Altlas and Ball Mason to paint and display dry flowers in. YEP, my family.
They may poke fun but they respect my hobbies.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Forgive me father it has been thirtyfive years since my last confession. I sometimes pick up a nice whittlely bottle and watch a tv show hold it up and admire it during commercials. I also like listening to Taylor Swift when she is on the radio. I feel better already.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have been into a study of the three and four mold section glass items in my collection. Mainly because another collector went me q three mold beer bottle, that I think was made somewhere around 1840. I have four different typess now - here in my bottle den. I also have two pitchers that I think were probably for tea holding, that are hand blown in a four part mold, and had the pouring lip formed, the handle applied, and the bottoms have a pontil mark (punty rod type). There are six stars in the design of shields - so I have to assume they represented a patriotic goal. The main objective of my collecting is to study all the markings of the hand blown glass, to understand the procedures of making what they ended up with. That goes back to my interest as a kid - always asking my Dad how things were made. That interest got me into mechanical engineering and every thing about hand made glass. RED Mathews

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday