I love inks but!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
300.00 do you all really think so.Somebody must really want a run of colored Carters bad.Theres also a lite green one going for 262.00 or so and a honey amber for 125.00 or so Really.I know theres not a lot of these Criton ones but are they that rare,And Honey amber over a 100.00

D1C625C6E7C5475D9B32E71A27CF0528.jpg

Attachments

• D1C625C6E7C5475D9B32E71A27CF0528.jpg
    D1C625C6E7C5475D9B32E71A27CF0528.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 83

Jim

Reaction score
The prices for the colored Carter's cones are all over the place, and sometimes a bit nutz. The citron ones usually do bring $200+, as they are scarcer if they are truly yellow with no amber. The light green is a tough color, as well.

Not long ago, the emerald green and cobalt ones were going for well over $100. One cobalt I saw went for over 200! They are nice inks, but most of the colors are not all that hard to find and they're not worth that to me. I thought about selling my green and cobalt ones when the prices were up, but they look too nice on my ink shelf, so that's where they stayed. I'll have to dig a citron or light green if I'm meant to have one, because I'm not forking out 2 or 3 bills for either of them [&:] ~Jim

justanolddigger

Reaction score
That is my green ink you are referring to. here is a link to my auctions.
thealdenwave
These Carter cones in weird colors have been bringing these kind of prices for a few years now, this is not something new. There are four different bidders weighing in on that green ink, and I know of at least one more heavy hitter that will probably weigh in. It is not just a couple of random bidders duking it out. Just because you or even I will not pay those kind of prices, doesn't mean they aren't worth it. My good friend Paul "idigjars" put together a fantastic collection of these Carter cones over several years, and I was lucky enough to purchase them from him. He looked high and low for some of these odd colors, and this is one of the best. I sold one last month for $390, and the feedback I received from a prominent collector was that it was the best ink he had seen on ebay in three years. I say hats off to Paul for having such a great eye for color.
Bill

0A51C8D1E2FA431AA85A6AB4F4A1EF47.jpg

Attachments

• 0A51C8D1E2FA431AA85A6AB4F4A1EF47.jpg
    0A51C8D1E2FA431AA85A6AB4F4A1EF47.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 104

Jim

Reaction score
That is a great example of the hard-to-find light green. As I said, it is not unusual for the truly odd colors like that to go for over $200. I was referring to the more common colors like plain emerald green and cobalt going for $100-200.

I remember seeing pictures of Paul's collection of these bottles. He had the best color run of these inks that I have seen. ~Jim

dollarbill

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I think It's great you can get those kind of prices,And I love the colors myself as I have a few.I know Paul pretty well too.He has had a lot to do with the quality of my ink collection as we have made some great trades in the past.I was just thinking though that at those prices a collector could get some nice pontiled inks and some in colors to.
bill

D616FB34281E44CFBE2B13F500F447EC.jpg

Attachments

• D616FB34281E44CFBE2B13F500F447EC.jpg
    D616FB34281E44CFBE2B13F500F447EC.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 93

saratogadriver

Reaction score
In my opinion, they aren't worth the $, but I'm also not one of the 4 people with that kind of money to spend on a carter's cone. My wife bought me an unembossed cone for Christmas, it starts as a very light green that could be aqua until you put it beside aqua, and becomes a very light but distinct yellow at the shoulder, through the lip. It's amazing when lit, and she dropped $110 on it at Keene, which I thought was borderline too much. Now I'm thinking that the seller should have put it on ebay. With some good pics, I bet he could have pulled off 3-4 hundred for it.

This run on colored cones, which goes back about a year, amazes me. But, that is why the hobby is so diverse. Even amongst ink collectors, there is room for different collections/viewpoints.

Jim G

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
hey justanolddigger,
I was lucky enough to buy 4 or 5 nice cone inks from Paul at the cincy show a few yrs back. I dragged me feet getting back with him about getting 4 or 5 more and said he sold them all so now I know where they went. I got some really cool colors from him as well. Did you get a few small carters masters from him as well?

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I did get two small masters, light green & amber. A digging buddy wanted in on the action, and we are splitting whats left of the Carter's & cones Tuesday. I'll be listing the rest of them after that, keeping a few select ones for myself. Paul had a great eye for color, I can't believe some of the colors I pull out of the box. You can contact me here or pm after Tuesday if you wish. I think I remember you from the Cincy show, I was set up with Paul, he sold me a few Carters before the show, and I sold part of them there also, about a dozen if I remember right...Bill

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
yep..that was me..I was coming back over to the table to get those 2 small master inks and got side tracked. Paul and I even talked on the phone afterwards and I was going to come up and get them.....then I just put it off...snooze you lose I guess.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR