I might be buying my own landfill!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
There's a landfill for sale about 20 to 25 miles from here. 1.18 acres bordered by state land on a good trout stream. The guy sent me an email in response to me looking for a place to dig old bottles. He's asking $1,500. The taxes are $132 a year. I'm thinking that it'd be a great place to build a lean-to and a good fire ring maybe bring in a picnic table and dig my own privy. My own personal campsite in the woods on the end of a dead end road. I'm thinking that I really want it. He says no one has dumped there in 50 years. Not old by any means but I'm trying to figure out how long they dumped there. Its being advertised as a landfill and not a lot with a personal dump so I'm thinking it was part of the towns landfill. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
Ok the guy just emailed me back. 90% of the 1.18 is landfill and it was indeed the town dump. Sounds like paradise to me. Swiz

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Be careful , if there was dangerous, toxic, or otherwise unwanted stuff dumped there you may end up being liable. They threw all types of terrible stuff in old town dumps.

swizzle

Reaction score
Who would I contact about that? I'm sure the guy selling it isn't going to tell me anything like that. The creek that it borders flows into a beaver meadow. By the looks of the satellite imagery I should be able to kayak about a mile upstream from the property. Maybe even get some close ups of Adirondack Moose. Its about 1/2 mile from a convenience store that sells subs and pizza and what not. Its like camping but you get to cheat with fresh hot food. Thanx for the warning. I have to talk to the town hall first anyways because I want to see about any zoning laws and taxes and whatnot. Swiz

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
You might want to be careful about that creek too. If the dump leeched any nastiness into the water and poluted it or the beaver pond downstream, the owner of the dump may be liable. Just something to think of before you become the proud owner of it. You haven`t seen any 2 headed beavers or 6 legged frogs there, have you?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Not trying to be negative, just dont want you getting screwed.
No idea how you find out about stuff like that. Its probably safe unless it was a town with industrial plants like paint factories, tanning mills, asbestos shingle factories, etc...

swizzle

Reaction score
Its a small lake town that mostly depends on tourism. I don't believe there would be anything super toxic there. I'm sure there's oil, paint and stuff like that. I'll most likely ask a bunch of questions at the town hall pertaining to any liability or clean up issues. Being a small town and most of the jobs in the next city over I don't believe there would be anything industrially in this landfill. The last leather mill was probably 100 years ago. By the looks of the satellite imagery I'd say its out back of the highway dept. There's always the chance of something nasty being there and I appreciate the concern. I wouldn't have even thought about asking about toxic issues until you bought it up. Not that it makes a huge difference but the guy I'm buying this off of made it a point to tell me that he's a retired NYPD detective. Maybe this is where Jimmy Hoffa is? Swiz

Wangan

Reaction score
Jimmy is where no one would look,like under 30' of concrete or in a sharks belly.[:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau