I still gotzit

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi E, some nice finds for your 1st time back. yes you still gotzit, if you have any extra can you send it my way[:D]. is there some way to pull some sort of tub that would float behind you? good luck. rhona

E

Reaction score
Farmville is TOUGH these days, I went to college there in the late 70s/early 80s and was about two years too late to get in on the bonanza. A local fella who is now quite a renowned Virginia historian (Robert Flippin) had just beat me to every dump in town - including the old town dump that had bottles back to the mid-1850's. I scratched around behind him for years picking up the stragglers.

I have found some good creeks in the adjacent counties = Amelia, Cumberland, and Charlotte. If you can find historic maps you can sometimes find forgotten places, my Amelia spot I believe was a small settlement of freedmen/descendents that faded away sometime prior to WWII. No more clues (its the only good spot I got left).

Flaschendagger: I am still struggling with my Photogue skills - but am improving, I will post better picks of some locals later. Do you have any preference on bottle types?

E

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Very nice finds! Im glad your back at it & your right its been HOT. Im from Harrisonburg & I collect Virginia soda's &local Water Bottles. Im dieing to know what the 4 sodas are you found. PLEASE post pics :) Do you have any Harrisonburg Va stuff? Thanks & Good Luck!

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
A pic of my Farmville Flask

DFDF258CE31F4919BC64A8CA52DBD5AE.jpg

Attachments

• DFDF258CE31F4919BC64A8CA52DBD5AE.jpg
    DFDF258CE31F4919BC64A8CA52DBD5AE.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 43

E

Reaction score
Va. Digger,

Your pic is Newport News flask, but that's fine - despite alot of digging in th tidewater I have never come up with one of those. I am not familiar with any Harrisonburg bottles in my collection, I would have to check. Actually rarely if ever have I found any Shenandoah Valley bottles in the piedmont/tidewater.

I may be hitting a place in Charlotte Co., next week - that's a little closer to you, maybe I'll find an odd valley treasure.

the 4 locals are featured up a few posts = poor picture, hope to improve pics later: best is dark amber Lynchburg coke, 2nd best amethyst Petersburg coke, other two are nice locals: "Farmville Mineral Bottling Co." "CL Martin, Farmville Bottling Co." - have found these two types before.

Would love to see some of your valley goodies...

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
E...Would you be interested in selling or trading your Petersburg Coke or the CL Martin, Farmville Bottling Co?

E

Reaction score
Va. Digger,

I would have a hard time parting with any strait cokes or pepsis = there are no two alike. Let me go through the "the shed" to see if I have any Martins or Minerals stashed away - if so I would gladly make a trade. Are you interested in Lemon/Mint/Hayo Colas and other Va sodas as well? I think I may have a "Drink Me" or two from Lexington, Va.

I have been totally kicking myself lately regarding the thousands of nice crown sodas that I left behind during the 80's. There was one particular marsh in Suffolk where I left about 100 strait-side aqua cokes and numerous taka colas and pepsis on the bank - I was so into the torpedos (Cantrell & Cochrane junk) the site was yielding that I left the crowns behind. I went back about 5 years ago to see if the cokes/takas/pepsis were still there - nada. The marsh had even been drained and picked clean. Oy vey...

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Yeah I collect Virginia Sodas so ill be interested in any you have. I have a few doubles of va strait cokes & pepsi I would be willing to trade. I really want that Petersburg Coke because I dont have any cokes from that part of Virginia. Im not really sure the value of it but im sure we can work something out.

E

Reaction score
Went through a few bottles in the shed: "Drink Me" is an art deco bottle from Roanoke, also found another art deco: "Choc-O-Let" from Lynchburg. Both are delitefully ugly. Those and a couple Richmond Taka-Kolas and Suffolk strait Pepsis that I didn't know I had. Still have 3 or 4 big boxes to sift through but I am pretty sure that I don't have another Petersburg Coke.

I hope to sneak back to my creek next week, good chance that I may find dupes. You ever come down this way to dig? I have been thinking about travelling up to the old Charlottesville city dump (have an idea of where it is) some time soon = from what I hear it yielded incredible treasures. Surely it has been turned over several times, but may be some things yet to find for those willing to work hard/get wet & muddy.

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Ive heard some nice stuff about the c-ville dump, Im about 45 min from Charlottesville so whenever you wanna tear it up there will be 2 strong backs waiting. Im free for the next 3 weekends so lets set something up.

We can always hope for that Rawley Springs Hotel Bottle :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal