I want to know more

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nbarnett66

Reaction score
I recently have discovered my love for glass bottles and such. I found these at a thrift shop and for 2 bucks apiece had to have them. I figured them to be olive oil bottles. I was hoping someone might know more about what they are and possibly their age

Attachments

• 8513b1f74c2e448497b0fbb820e8bea1.jpg
    8513b1f74c2e448497b0fbb820e8bea1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 73

sunrunner

Reaction score
I don't think that they are to old. looks like some thing you would find in a home décor shop , world market or target .

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Nicholas; I see this didn't help you much good. I am sorry sometimes when I read these postings - that our members don't work a little harder helping new collectors. I have collected glass for 77 + years now and I have spent many of those years digging, reading, working in the glass making industry, and specializing in the history and techniques of glass blown on the end of an iron pipe from a gathered ball of hot melted glass. I love every thing about the hobby. Now then, go to the information shown below that gives you my homepage. After you have read that, contact me by email if you want to - and I will try to give you some information and help. I have collected well over 2,000 products of early glass making and studied all of the books I could get my hands on to learn about how things were done in making glass bottles.RED Matthews email <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>From there - it can be a great study. There are great places to visit and watch glass being hand blown. The application of natures glass goes back over 3,000 years. With volcanic obsidian being just one of natures glass products. Glass beads from a historic meteorite, and lightning strikes in the Sahara Desert, have made other natural glass products.RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I haven't seen a reply. The first thing to look at on an old bottle is the finish. That is the top closure section of a bottle. If there are vertical seams on that part of the bottle, it is probably made on an Automatic Glass Machine. If there no seams that you need to look at the bottomof it - If there is a rough glass round mark or a round tube of glass on it it was a hand blown product and has some value to collectors. It will help you to read information about pontil methods. The low pipe of the previous blown bottle was often placed on a ledge near the glass furnace door to keep the glass from that previous bottle hot enough to be stuck on the bottom of the next bottle being made, so that blowpipe becomes the handle for fixing the finish on the next one made. A lot of bottles were empontiled on working punty rods which made a round contact mark when they were broken off the punty rod. Big bottles required some large diameter punty rod ends to hold on to the weight of the large bottles - like demijohns. I have a 10 gallon demi that has a four inch punty rod mark on it. The study of hand blown glass has kept my interest for over 70 years. My first bottle collected was a milk bottle - at the age of 9 - and I am 85 now,. RED Matthews

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.