If you live in a house made of bottles don't cast the first stone

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I have just read an unusual story in an old magazine. I was looking through a Relics April 1974 magazine. It has an article in it of old buildings built in gold mine towns in the early 1900s of bottles and adobe. It seems building materials were scarce and expensive to obtain. Saloons and Taverns were usually the first building to pop up in these towns. Someone got the bright idea to use the bottles and adobe to build walls. The saloons were very glad to have their trash removed. It goes on to say that the bottles would allow in light with all the colored bottles. The biggie and most important thing is that you place the bottles bottom out. Apparently if you put the neck out it would drive you insane with the wind blowing in them. Also with the neck out it let in less light. One building had been built with the necks out and later the whole wall was covered in adobe. Have any of you come across such a thing in your searching? Just something new to keep a look out for if you are in any of these type places.
Brian

Gd93636.jpg

Attachments

• Gd93636.jpg
    Gd93636.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 79

flasherr

Reaction score
It is kind of hard to tell from the scans but you can see the bottles sticking out of the walls. THe tall building in the back is nothing but bottle bottoms and adobe walls.

If10731.jpg

Attachments

• If10731.jpg
    If10731.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member