Illnesses You Can Get! Watch Out!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Okay, a while back we had a series of responses to illnesses we can get while digging bottles. Here's one you can get at any time, any place, and at any activity. I'm telling you this because I've been in the hospital recuperating from it. Note: I am not looking for sympathy.

A few weeks ago, I had the option of going to a doctor or going to see my great-granddaughter on her second birthday. Naturally, I went to her birthday party, figuring I could get treatment after we returned. At first, I wasn't sure if there was a boil or a bug bite on my groin. I figured that it didn't really hurt that much (that was on Thursday. We left here (N.C.) on Friday. By Sunday, we returned. The "bite" was much worse and had some pain to it. It had turned red. On Monday, I went to the doctor's office where I was immediately sent to a surgeon. He, in turn, looked at it and told me I had just bought a ticket to the hospital. The infection was more than 3" long and about 2" wise by then.

I spent 3 days in the hospital where they cut out the infection and I was hooked up to a number of antibiotics. The infection was one of those flesh-eating bacteria we hear about but never actually see. The doctor told me that the source would never be known. It could have been in my groin for a while or I could have recently been exposed to it.

Well, we are accidentally exposed to such bacteria while digging for bottles!

If you ever get a bump, knot, or other thing that gets worse, don't take any chances. Get it checked out! Don't be like me. I know medicine, so there was no excuse.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
something else to consider is carpel tunnel damage. i have aquired it from digging(alot!). hands will go numb after i dig for 4 or 5 hours. also it is never good to breathe the dirt from a dump or privy . stuff like coal dust and whatever might have been discarded. WEAR A FACE MASK WHEN YOU DIG!!!!

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Thats a scary one. That flesh-eating bacteria is deadly. You are "lucky" it was only a few days in the hospital. 2 weeks ago I had a deer tick removed from my back. Doc gave me antibiotics just in case it had lyme disease. I didn't know those little ticks were so nasty, the sore is still there. So remember - at least on the east coast, use bug repellent when heading out into the woods.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Gosh, Pontilled, so glad you are OK! What a scare! And while we're at it, don't forget to keep those tetanus shots up to date. Was told by my dr recently in the course of having a skin infection treated (not bottle-dig related) that staph and strep bacteria are on our skin all the time, and all it takes is the right combination of conditions to start something up. Can't resist offering a bit of "mommy-type" advice - when you get back from the dig, shower and scrub all over with anti-bacterial soap right away! I know from experience it's tempting to stop and play with and start cleaning bottles, but do yourself first! Safe digging, y'all!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. Those tetinus shots aren't really a problem to get so go get them everyone!

I definitely agree about the wash down after digging. We never know what germs we've been exposed to or even acids in the soil.

ffursbit

Reaction score
This might be of interest to all you US diggers, as it shows what actually went into those dumps, at least in the UK. It's from a notebook belonging to an employee of a firm of chartered surveyors in North Wales, who were employed to keep an eye on dumping practices:

4 Sept. 1911.

Lower Park.

Visited the Lower Park and found a man levelling down a load of Town refuse which had been tipped about 10 minutes previous to my arrival at 11.15.

I met the empty cart returning opposite the Lime Works.

The freshly dumped material consisted of the following choice selections.

About two dozen flat fish - plaice & such like - size 10" to 16 inches.

A quantity of decomposed & partly decomposed vegetable matter - such as cabbages, lettuces, potatoe pealings &c.

Stable manure.

Straw.

Ashes.

Legs and horns of Sheep.

Part skins of Sheep.

Entrails.

(..?..) - Emptly of Salomm fruit &c.

Jam Pots.

Rags of all Sorts.

Pieces of Oilcloth, Carpets

Sponges.

Old Hats.

Pieces of Sacks.

And various skins - supposed to those of rabbits.

The smell from the refuse was pestilential, and that of the fish was very highly flavoured.

Swarming around were myriad of Flies Wasps and insects of all description.

I asked the man what he did with the Stinking matter, and he replied that he endeavoured to cover it over with the Ashes as well as possible but admitted that there was insufficient depth of tip to do the work properly.

In addition to the recently dumped load - the ground surrounding for a considerable distance is littered with decomposed matter - such as entrails, skins, &c. and there is a certain amount of smell coming from them.

The distance from the Spot where the load was dumped to the nearest house is 120 yards.
The direction is N. E. S. W. or the prevailing wind direction.

Name of Carter - Ed. Williams.

What is done with Slaughter house entrails.

Very nice, but it does make you think.

bearswede

Reaction score
I worry more about folks digging in old hospital dumps... Supposedly, now, hospital refuse- or most of it- is disposed of safely... One has to wonder how it was in the 19th century when less was known and less care was taken...

Ron

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
How about Anthrax?? I heard that can live in the soil for 1000 years.....[X(] TB is another goodie you might find in a old hospital dump....[:'(] Happy digg'n! Taz

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen