I'm headed to Europe soon.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
To all reading across the Atlantic Ocean from me -
I'll be in Germany in October for a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could suggest any shops, events or anything bottle and glass related in the area. I'll be in Edenkoben, Landau, Neustadt (sp. ?), Mannheim, Ludwigshafen for starters. We may do some visiting in North and possibly southern Germany, depending on train ticket prices. I'll have a rental car, but with gas prices per liter, won't be venturing too far.

I hope to have an empty suitcase to fill with glass finds from that area[:D][:D][:D].

Any ideas would be great. Even if it's to meet forum members in the area, for a drink or dinner, it would be a real treat.

KentOhio

Reaction score
My brother collects old skeleton keys, and some of the best ones come out of Germany. They have what I call "castle keys," which are typically 5 to 8 inches long. Pick up a bunch of them. They bring much more in America.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Here's a link to a site with good keys, so you know what to look for. http://aschkenes.com/index%20Jeff.htm

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
bubbas dad - I'd love to hop up that way, but that would have to be a seperate trip. It's just too expensive to try to do it all.

KentOhio - Very interesting...I like the website that shows these also. The last time I was there (I think it was '99), I wanted to see a castle or two. We ended up visiting about 14 or so. The hardware on most of the doors were so fancy and quite large. I truly believe that keys like those pictured on the site were used in such locks.
I'm familiar with many types of German antiques, because I've inherited a lot of stoneware, stiens, tools, some glass, china and so on, but have no idea what these keys should sell for, in Euros of course.

I will try to hit the flea markets that I missed last time there.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello all -
I'm bumping this 'cause it wasn't viewed much and I'm heading there soon.

I hope to use my clothes as packing - cushion for the suitcase glass. [:D]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Have fun Meech. Bring back loads of breakable treasure and let us know when your home again.[:D] Kelley

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, Meech...

Have fun and keep an eye out for those skull&crossbone "Giftflasche" bottles!!!

Ron

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Will do Kelley[:)]

Hi Ron - There was a few at our show last weekend and sooner or later I'll end up buying at least one. They offered three of the larger ones, a green, light amber (new guy in our club bought - wife is German also) and a less seen blue variation...for only $300.00. They were way too large for my poison display cabinet.

*** Building the bottle budget to buy the glass we'll never dig. [:D]

BARQS19

Reaction score
Be careful how much you put in one suitcase, they will throw it all out and might break something when checking for bombs and stuff. There is also I think a 80lb limit per suitcase so you better check on that too, if you go over they fine you. Coming back from Mexico I had a ton of Coca Cola crap and had to leave some of it. Let me know if you find any Barq's rootbeer in Germany. I heard it was over there now. Take Care,
Robert
BARQS19

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc