I'm headed to Europe soon.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Robert - I'll be putting anything fragile or valuable in my carry-ons (3 for our family). I'll keep an eye out for Barqs items.

Whiskey - Thanks, will do.

Update ----- I'll be hitting part of France too, not sure where exactly though.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey all -
I'm back - of course and have been. Extremely busy for a while and will be until early Dec. or so. Germany was a real nightmare as far as finding early glass for sale. I did find some on the last and next to last day there. It's all junk to them though. I brought home about 14 items, but no time at the moment to post a photo. I will as soon as I can.

I've been digging a lot too, so need to share a photo of the truckloads soon, as well.

bearswede

Reaction score
Wecome back, Flash!!

It's been a bit lonely out here... Sorry the glass didn't flow as well as hoped for... looking forward to the photos...

Ron

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Thanks for the Welcome Back Ron!

Hello all-
Okay --- Here's some of the stuff I picked up over there. Nothing exciting, unless you count the price for everything. These were all different group sales, but all total for 20 Euros (under $20 US).

Keep in mind, that I don't collect this type of glass, but they're better than pickin' up postcards. The tall crude bottle which seems to be hula dancing is from where my wife was born, so she thought that we should buy it. It's embossed: MANNHEIMER ACTIENBRAUEREI in arc over 6 point star w/ animals (lions maybe) then LOWENKELLER over UNVERKAUFLICH (which means - This bottle not to be sold - in so many words). Next is a bottle that was hand delivered to the house we were staying. She knew that I was looking for bottles and could only speak enough English to say that it was a syrup bottle and was 100 years old. I politely said thanks and told my wife that it can't be any older than 20 years at best. Next is a GEORG DRALLE - HAMBURG on shoulder with fluted base and embossed flying bird. Last is a DRALLE BIRKEN on shoulder. After a bit of research, the last two are perfumes or at least Dralle was a perfume company.

Zw69608.jpg

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Next photo -
Centered, is the one that I really wanted when I saw this in the window. It is from the very small town where we were staying. We traveled to France and all over Germany (that area) looking for bottles to buy. We found most of these bottles on the next to last day and with very little suitcase room. Back to the clear centered one again: UNTERE APOTHEKE in arc over a flower like symbol, then DR. OTTO SEITER over EDENKOBEN. This bottle has to be a real treasure for that locale, but bottles aren't collectible to them. This once apothecary is now a school for driving. Flanking this bottle are some early hock wine looking bottles, ranging in height from 6 - 6 1/2". We were told that they were given to wine venders as samples back then. They were all different in color and slightly in age and the big plus was that they could fit anywhere in the luggage. The colors go from red amber to light amber to teal blue (my favorite). Last is a mini wickered demijohn (about 1 1/2" tall) that I found in a cluttered shop. My wife couldn't believe that I spotted this one. All the glass was blown and cheap (at least I thought) but very hard to find and I had a translater.[:)]

I'll try to add scenery photos after I edit some... and soon.

By76486.jpg

Attachments

• By76486.jpg
    By76486.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 53

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Here's a look at the town (centered) we were staying in... wine country. I'm in the tallest part of the ruins - castle for this photo.

Nl30536.jpg

Attachments

• Nl30536.jpg
    Nl30536.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 55

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
A photo from my chair showing how I got there... the lift.

Db84426.jpg

Attachments

• Db84426.jpg
    Db84426.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 61

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
A typical apothecary in that area. Most had an antique display in the window, usually with some sort of glass and/or bottles. The bottles and canisters, with contents shown here, are still in use today at this shop. The counters, built-ins and equipment are basically (w/ the addition of newer products) the same as they were from long ago. Sort of a trip back in time walking into some of these structures.

Db85681.jpg

Attachments

• Db85681.jpg
    Db85681.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 58

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
A look at one window display in a nearby city. Everything displayed here is a miniature... and I mean tiny!!! This was roughly two by two feet. Sorry for the reflection in the glass, but you can get an idea.

Yw67282.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67282.jpg
    Yw67282.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 52

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday