In Bad Taste?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Many times I've seen where people show bottles here they have found or bought in the not to distant past and are kind enough in giving us the opprtunity to enjoy them as well.

Well it doesn't take long for someone or two to start asking....."Ya want to sell them/it."

Am I the only one that finds that kind of behavior a bit pretenious or in bad taste?

I've always found if someone wants to sell something....they will offer it for sell, or let you know they have little interest in it, no need to ask.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Maybe some of the 'show-n-tellers' consider it flattering?

Anyhow, they own and can't be forced to sell.. unless the Escalade drops them off in Belmar for the summer.. [:-]

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
Agreed. I had a bottle I thought I would never get rid of but, when I got a $1000.00 offer on a quart beer bottle I at first turned it down but then took 4 other quart beers and a lot of money in trade.

The thing is I needed the cash and it got me out of a bind plus I got 4 new bottles out of it. Most of the time on this site people ask how much something is worth and we tell them its not worth the sand it was made from so like cyber said I think people are flattered and maybe it will tell them they have something worth holding on to or maybe they may need the money. you never know and it never hurts to ask.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mtfdfire22

Agreed. I had a bottle I thought I would never get rid of but, when I got a $1000.00 offer on a quart beer bottle I at first turned it down but then took 4 other quart beers and a lot of money in trade.

The thing is I needed the cash and it got me out of a bind plus I got 4 new bottles out of it. Most of the time on this site people ask how much something is worth and we tell them its not worth the sand it was made from so like cyber said I think people are flattered and maybe it will tell them they have something worth holding on to or maybe they may need the money. you never know and it never hurts to ask.

You are missing the point of the question as you obviously already had the bottle for sale but could not get your asking price. See Joe gets it.

Maybe I should have refined the question more as,

Do you think people should ask to buy items out of your/ones personal collection w/out giving regards to which they are part of just to satisfy there own personal wants?

Kinda like if I had an obsession about something and was so full of.........

That Escalade got a/c ?

druggistnut

Reaction score
This reminds me of the chow hall at the first unit out of boot camp and school.
They had Philipino ladies working there. They were like vultures- if it even LOOKED like you were done eating, they would swoop in and want to take your tray.
They wanted to look and be efficient but were irritating to most of us.
That is how I view the buying/offer thing, but then again, I miss out on stuff.
If someone comes on and states "I am interested in selling such and such," then I will offer.
Bill

TJSJHART

Reaction score
YOU CAN TELL WHEN SOME IS LOOKING TO SELL OR IS JUST SHOWING OFF THE MOST RECENT ADDITION TO THEIR COLLECTION.. PLUS FELLOW COLLECTORS ON THIS FORUM WILL INFORM EVERYONE IF MORE OF SOMETHING IS AVAILABLE . OR IF THEY AQUIRED A MOTHER LODE OF ANYTHING .

tigue710

Reaction score
I ask every time Im interested. it doesn't hurt anyone, and sometimes people sell me something they expressed no interest in selling... I'll phrase it in an non pushy manner to be polite. To the early bird goes the worm. If someone doesn't want to sell, they say no. People are all different and because we are communicating through a form of technology without personal interaction, I.E. the internet, its impossible to read what someone feels about an object unless you ask strait out, or they express they are going to keep it or its for the collection. What could seem like personal excitement at having acquired an object for ones collection could just be excitement about picking up a good buy to turn over... So when a person doesn't make it clear what they want to do with an object, I ask, every time.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
It may not be in the best of taste, but I have no problem with asking or being asked, it basically does no harm, and I dont feel that there is a lot of good taste in these forums anyhow........

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

I ask every time Im interested. it doesn't hurt anyone, and sometimes people sell me something they expressed no interest in selling... I'll phrase it in an non pushy manner to be polite. To the early bird goes the worm. If someone doesn't want to sell, they say no. People are all different and because we are communicating through a form of technology without personal interaction, I.E. the internet, its impossible to read what someone feels about an object unless you ask strait out, or they express they are going to keep it or its for the collection. What could seem like personal excitement at having acquired an object for ones collection could just be excitement about picking up a good buy to turn over... So when a person doesn't make it clear what they want to do with an object, I ask, every time.

Ok, so you'll ask if you see something that you like. That's cool, but do you have personal limits and restrictions on who and what you would ask for?

Would you ask the owner of this collection to sell a piece that might interest you right off the bat?

Or, would you rather or be more prone to ask someone who has a large/small collection of so-so bottles piled up in a nondescript conglomeration?

Basically would you ask someone who had a better collection or that showed more care in what they had as opposed to one who doesn't?

4A9F27B5A1BF4712A8C3B4D01E2469AB.jpg

Attachments

• 4A9F27B5A1BF4712A8C3B4D01E2469AB.jpg
    4A9F27B5A1BF4712A8C3B4D01E2469AB.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members