In Bad Taste?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

ORIGINAL: tigue710

I ask every time Im interested. it doesn't hurt anyone, and sometimes people sell me something they expressed no interest in selling... I'll phrase it in an non pushy manner to be polite. To the early bird goes the worm. If someone doesn't want to sell, they say no. People are all different and because we are communicating through a form of technology without personal interaction, I.E. the internet, its impossible to read what someone feels about an object unless you ask strait out, or they express they are going to keep it or its for the collection. What could seem like personal excitement at having acquired an object for ones collection could just be excitement about picking up a good buy to turn over... So when a person doesn't make it clear what they want to do with an object, I ask, every time.

Ok, so you'll ask if you see something that you like. That's cool, but do you have personal limits and restrictions on who and what you would ask for?

Would you ask the owner of this collection to sell a piece that might interest you right off the bat?

Or, would you rather or be more prone to ask someone who has a large/small  collection of  so-so bottles piled up in a nondescript conglomeration?

Basically would you ask someone who had a better collection or that showed more care in what they had as opposed to one who doesn't?

4A9F27B5A1BF4712A8C3B4D01E2469AB.jpg

that's a hard one, to answer your question, basically yes. If there was something in that picture that was one of my top most wanted, I would inquire about the possibility of it becoming available. I wouldn't on the other hand blurt out randomly, hey want to sell that? If a person was less organized and had a "pile" so to say, I might also ask, but it would again depend on the presentation. I would be more likely to ask this organized person then someone who obviously just loves glass and has no cares about a certain category or price. Now if its a person who found a bunch of bottles and is interested in them but most likely will loose that interest after a few months or years, (sometimes those people are very obvious), and have a loose collection of everything I'll ask about everything...

I've found that major collectors who have been through every hoop and up every ladder to obtain a rare piece are more often willing to sell something upon inquiry even though they haven't offered it for sale, as long as it isnt the most recent acquisition! I think most major collectors are often thinking about what they are gonna sell next to help with the next buy, or just because they have refined their taste, like a constant rotation of improvement in their collection. I myself have sold bottles I had no intention of selling when someone inquired just because I could see it was really gonna make their day, sometimes its more fun to put a smile on someones face then to acquire a new object and keep it.

when it comes to a dig being posted I always ask because a lot of people only keep a few and sell or trade the rest...

Road Dog

Reaction score
I don't mind it a bit. Shows an honest interest in what I got. Heck, everytime I take the old car out someone offers to buy it. [:D] Doesn't hurt to ask.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I think it's a bit flattering when a collector wants a bottle I have and I have been asked many times regarding bottles in my colllection. I just politely say no , I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell or sure lets make a deal.

I have no problem inquiring about a possible purchase, either. Sometimes I am a collector, sometimes I'm a buyer/seller.

I can see why a person might find it odd or offensive when someone posts randomly, but like Tigue said, it's not usually 100% clear what people are intending when they post online. If you want more info, you have to ask.

If people posted in the Sale/Wanted section, that would make it clearer. It might be more polite to forum members not to solicit anyone unless it's posted there.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Not a puce one among them what a travesty.[8D]

A23972082AEA4DA799440F4F363F9869.jpg

Attachments

• A23972082AEA4DA799440F4F363F9869.jpg
    A23972082AEA4DA799440F4F363F9869.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 72

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all... Well I'm one of those that will ask if a bottle fits into my bottlemystery examples of showing others what can, does and obviously has been done - to create a clearer explanation to other bottle collectors. It is just a sincere interest with no feelings of dis pare. RED M.

BillinMo

Reaction score
I suppose it really depends on the approach and the attitude.

I don't have a problem being asked (or asking) "if you ever want to sell that, I'd definitely be interested." I have several pieces in my collection that aren't for sale, but I know who would be willing to buy them if I ever wish to (or need to) sell. I file that info away for future reference. And in the future, if someone tells me they have similar piece for sale, I can steer them toward a buyer. I think it's all just part of the collecting network, knowing who specializes in certain things and where the interested buyers are.

Now it's another thing if it's a pushy attitude --

"OMG! I have to have that! How much?!!"
"Sorry, I'm not interested in selling it."
"Aw, come on, everything's for sale at the right price! HOW MUCH?!!!"
"Sorry, it's not for sale."
"Quit teasing! HOW MUCH?!!!"

At that point, it's WAY beyond rude and I make sure to avoid that person in the future.

PASodas

Reaction score
I do understand where OB is coming from, however I haven't seen 3 or more members immediately asking "How much, how much?"

Most offers generally start with a polite appreciation and follow with an "I'd be interested if . . ." so I don't find it annoying. If an item does fit into your collectible category and you have been searching for some time, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Now if you are just looking to "steal" a decent item from a novice collector solely for retail, I find that annoying. I don't see that here on the forum and perhaps its good of OB to remind us of that. JMHO, Jeff

logueb

Reaction score
I know what Pat means about this and it doesn't just pertain to bottles. I have a 1985 Chevy pickup that both me and my son drove for years. It sits back on the back of the lot where I parked it when the transmission started to hesitate at stop lights. There is no "For Sale" sign on it. Never advertised it for sale, yet there have been hundreds, yes hundreds of folks that have stopped and asked "is it for sale?" I always said no, that I had planned to restore it, but money is tight these days. So Friday a guy shows with cash money and I sold it. No more aggervation, no more stopping what I am doing to answer the door bell.
Yes some who stopped were pushy. "Just how much would it take to buy it?" I would get irrated and say "Do you see a for sale sign on it?" "When you see a for sale sign on it and it is pushed near the road it will be for sale"

stumpknocker

Reaction score
I continually ask members posting photos if there item are for sale or if they any duplicates they consider selling because frankly you don’t know till you ask moreover if you sit on your hands then they sell it to someone else your going will I wanted to buy that bottle I did not know they wanted to sell it. Now I’m primarily asking for bottles that I looking to add to my collection and keep for quite some time not trying to jump on every bottle posted hoping to scam someone of their bottle so I can sell it to someone else for big buck. I think there is appropriate way to go about asking as well as the acceptance of no for an answer if the reply you get. There can always be a good way or a bad way to go about everything but I don’t see any harm in asking unless it’s plainly stated in the post this bottle not for sale.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen