IN SEARCH OF ~ FIRST SODA BOTTLE COLLECTING BOOK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celerycola

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I give up! ... [8|]

I guess I'll just have to assume that no one knows when the first soda bottle collecting book was published. Its a bummer, too, because this whole thing could have been solved by now if some experts had simply gone through their libraries, checked a few dates, and then shared those findings with everyone viewing this topic. But instead of that, what we have is a thread that's out of control. I'll never understand how a thread like this one can start our with a simple question and then so abruptly turn into a train wreck like this. I don't get it! I really don't!

The first "thread buster" was your "zig-zag" on bottle cap baseball. The second was your offensive barrage directed at members of this forum.

Please, someone please tell me, what is so difficult to understand about the following question?

Does anyone know by who and what year the earliest soda bottle collecting book was published?

Have you tried Google?

Anyhoo, its a moot question now so I guess I'll just move on.

Later alligators

Bob

[ End of Replies ]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I made my best suggestion a while back but it was dismissed I guess.
Since your looking for crown tops you have to think about the collecting popularity. Generally it takes 30-40 years to popularize a hobby so the first book might be from the 40's or so. Get to ACL and add 40 on top of that. If you find something from the 70's that may be all she wrote.
Of coarse there are specialty pieces like commemorative or brand specifics.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
The oldest I own is Soda Pop The History Advertising Art and Memorabilia of Soft Drinks in America by Lawrence Dietz copyright 1973.

And in response to your "final" snit, I think the problem is that no one, but you, CARES about what the oldest bottle book is, especially when you act like you have on this thread.

bottleopop

Reaction score
I think the question about the oldest soda bottle collecting book is an interesting one. It's an aspect of the hobby of bottle collecting - part of its history. There have been some people who have responded to this question demonstrating their interest in it.

celerycola

Reaction score
I gave an honest response that there are dozens of soda books. All I got from the discussion was a personal attack from another member who made offensive remarks about others as well. After his tirade he actually wrote that he has no idea how the discussion became a "train wreck."

ORIGINAL: bottleopop

I think the question about the oldest soda bottle collecting book is an interesting one. It's an aspect of the hobby of bottle collecting - part of its history. There have been some people who have responded to this question demonstrating their interest in it.

bottleopop

Reaction score
Yes, but I would like to know what is the oldest soda bottle collecting book and how old is it?

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I just took exception to the attitude shown toward certain members rather than just ignoring a post that didn't conform to his ideal post and moving on. I seriously doubt this "Train Wreck" would have happened if Soda hadn't fired the opening salvo, then trying to blame it on those same members for responding to his attack. It's apparent Soda has issues with certain members on this forum. I don't know the back story behind it, but I'm willing to bet that from what I've seen in this thread that much of it had to do with the attitude evidenced here. I don't know, it just seems so silly an argument to me.

Research what you want and to heck with anyone who doesn't like it, and don't bash others for trying to help you out even if their information is practically useless. Next time they may be the source of some interesting bit of info which pulls your whole thesis together.

bottleopop

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: morbious_fod
Research what you want and to heck with anyone who doesn't like it, and don't bash others for trying to help you out even if their information is practically useless.
Excellent advice!

I took a quick look in the Library of Congress online catalog and the earliest soda bottle collecting book I could find there is the 1968 book mentioned already earlier by nhpharm in this thread. I did see some other interesting soda book titles listed there and might go there to see them sometime.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottleopop

ORIGINAL: morbious_fod
Research what you want and to heck with anyone who doesn't like it, and don't bash others for trying to help you out even if their information is practically useless.
Excellent advice!

I took a quick look in the Library of Congress online catalog and the earliest soda bottle collecting book I could find there is the 1968 book mentioned already earlier by nhpharm in this thread. I did see some other interesting soda book titles listed there and might go there to see them sometime.

Ya know I was thinking there had to be some database out there which would answer this question.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide