IN SEARCH OF ~ FIRST SODA BOTTLE COLLECTING BOOK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's where one of my usual 'twist' comes into play and I want to start changing things regarding specifics and thread titles. For example, in post #10 member nhpharm mentioned the book "Dictionary of Soda & Mineral Water Bottles" by John C. Fountain and Donald Colcleaser, published by Ole Empty Bottle House Publishing Company in 1968."

Now check out the following two pictures ...

This first one is of the cover ...

F9EF0B8F9AB24A05AFCEB8AAA7AE36C2.jpg

Attachments

• F9EF0B8F9AB24A05AFCEB8AAA7AE36C2.jpg
    F9EF0B8F9AB24A05AFCEB8AAA7AE36C2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 80

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's a snippet of one of the pages ...

Notice how the focus seems to be with pre-crown soda bottles? Maybe the book includes embossed crowns as well as acls, I'm not sure. But neither am I sure if this truly qualifies as the type of soda bottle book I was hoping to find. When I started this thread I had forgotten that collectors had been interested in and had been collecting Civil War era and turn-of-the-century sodas for a long time, which also included what are typically referred to as 'Mineral Water' bottles. So I guess my next question should be, do you consider a mineral water bottle to be a soda bottle? Personally, I don't. What say you?

In other words, now I wish I had titled this thread ...

IN SEARCH OF ~ FIRST SODA BOTTLE BOOK ~ BUT CROWN SODA POP BOTTLES ONLY ~ NOT CIVIL WAR ERA MINERAL BOTTLES

If I were searching for a book involving mineral water bottles, I bet one exist prior to 1968!

Bob

C90C0B1E7D0241D98302BC674AB1BBA8.jpg

Attachments

• C90C0B1E7D0241D98302BC674AB1BBA8.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 76

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
nhpharm ~

Thank you for the contribution. Great find.

But now I guess we'll have to decide 'collectively' as forum members if we consider the dictionary as a true soda bottle collecting book or not.

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

It is my hope that the following re-explanation will put an end to the replies regarding my recent lashing of celerycola, OsiaBoyce, and T D. It is also my hope that after reading this we can all move forward with business as usual and let bygones be bygones.

Bob, no one here has personally attacked you. Yet you called me a braggart, Pat a plagiarist, and Tom a dog? I think your first step should be an apology to every member of this forum for going well beyond civil discourse rather than re-hashing your "onslaught."

The reason I focused my onslaught on those particular individuals had nothing to do with their years of collecting experience nor their knowledge of soda bottles. I am aware of that aspect of their contributions on the forum and acknowledge it. The reason I singled them out is because they, more than any other members, seem to have a tendency to try and stifle a thread before it even gets started. And I'm not talking about criticism here, that's something else entirely. I'm talking about stifling, which can best be defined as the act of trying to hold some one back from expressing an opinion, making a point, or just opening a discussion in the hope that it might eventually lead to a constructive conclusion. In other words, stifling is like tying someone's hands with a rope and then asking them to climb a tree using only their teeth. And in case I am not making my point clear, I'll be more specific and explain it like this ...

When I, or any member, starts a thread, irregardless of the subject matter, the last thing that thread needs to give it impetus is for someone to come along and say something like ...

1. "You won't find the answers to your questions on Google."

Bob, you are mis-quoting my statement. I said "very few of your questions will be answered using Google." I never said information was not there on the internet - in fact, I started the post pinned to the top of the Soda forum "Soda Bottle Research Links on the Web." A number of members added links making this resource even more valuable. Not one of the soda books on my shelf has content available on the web. Many were limited editions and some are even well-researched manuscripts shared by a friend. And most of the hundreds of knowledgable soda collector friends I have met at shows over the years are not on this forum.

2. "Its not called that - its called this."

Unless you have some context for this I presume it is another mis-quote. If you're referring to the discussion on the term Deco Soda I don't recall you being present fifteen years ago when Brian Wade was discussing the terminology with collectors at numerous shows. You dismissed his book as a source and went into a long discourse on Egyptology.

3. "Why even bother searching?"

Context, please?

4. "What difference does it make?"

Context, please?

5. "Who cares?"

If no one cared there would be no one posting to this forum.

6. Etcetera, etc.

???

Again, I'm not talking about constructive criticism. I can handle that and even encourage it.

Again, no one here has made a personal attack on you. I haven't read every post on this forum but I do see a lot of kidding as you would see in any gathering of friends.

What I'm talking about is intentionally trying to take the wind out of a member's sails before he or she even leaves port. But more than anything else, the one thing I have difficulty understanding is why certain members do this on a regular basis? Is it because they feel they have to police every thread and make sure their opinion of it is heard?

I pointed out yesterday your number of posts is four fold what I have posted. I'm not retired - I have a job and family obligations and often go days without visiting this forum. I would make a poor policeman here.
Or is it because they are the disruptive type and simply don't know any better?

Is this your example of "constructive crriticism."

Whatever the answer might be, its as irritating as heck and causes more harm than it does good. Its like another member said recently, if you don't like or don't agree with the subject matter of a particular discussion, then just click to one you are interested in. Why reply with stifling comments when all it does is disrupt what others are interested in and contributing to?

Who is attempting to police the forum here?

Take for example this very thread. If you are not interested in helping to find the earliest published book pertaining to the collecting of soda bottles, then just move on, its as simple as that. But please don't tell me its irrelevant, a waste of time, or like trying to find a needle in a haystack. If that's your opinion, fine, but you don't need to be a thread buster simply because you don't think its a worthy cause.

"just move on" sounds like policing to me. The first "thread buster" was your "zig-zag" on bottle cap baseball. The second was your offensive barrage directed at members of this forum. If your suggestion is to play 38th parallel where neither of us crosses the line into the others posts I am good with that.

Now you know why I was irritated earlier and hopefully this new explanation will clarify things. If not, well, I hate to say it, but then just move on. There is noting to be gained by feeling you always have to have the last word, especially if that last word does nothing more than to disrupt a perfectly legitimate query.

I think fishnuts offered the best advice when he said to grow a hard skin and move on.

Respectfully,

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score

P.S. ~

"P.S."
the "last word?"

Because the main criticism against me seems to involve my preoccupation with 'assumption,' this is to acknowledge that I understand the definition of the word.

The word I used was "conjecture", not "assumption."

noun 1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

My only "criticism" was when you presented conjecture as fact which could (and did) confuse newer collectors.

And you're right, I am currently under the assumption there was a first book devoted specifically to the collecting of soda bottles. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right, but there is only one way to find out, and that involves some form of research and/or asking the assistance of others as I am doing now. My reason for asking is to try and 'confirm' when soda bottle collecting really when global enough to warrant the publication of a book or books. Its not enough for me to just hear someone say "around the mid 1970s." Remember, I too was collecting in the mid 1970s and can readily recall how uncommon it was in antique shops to find descent bottles like it is now. Its just that I like confirmations and references if and when they can be found.

Bob

~ * ~

As·sump·tion

Noun;

1. Something taken for granted; a supposition: a correct assumption. Synonyms: presupposition; hypothesis, conjecture, guess, postulate, theory.

2. The act of taking for granted or supposing. Synonyms: presumption; presupposition.

3. The act of taking to or upon oneself. Synonyms: acceptance, shouldering.

4. The act of taking possession of something: the assumption of power. Synonyms: seizure, appropriation, usurpation, arrogation.

5. Arrogance; presumption. Synonyms: presumptuousness; effrontery, forwardness, gall.

T D

Reaction score
I'm not a dog, doggonit, I'm an Atomic Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuyS9M8T03A

THAT'S IT!! Somebody contact George Clinton! He could settle this!

~!~

5AC4999E5E03448E88BA5B9CEF0220E8.jpg

Attachments

• 5AC4999E5E03448E88BA5B9CEF0220E8.jpg
    5AC4999E5E03448E88BA5B9CEF0220E8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 81

andy volkerts

Reaction score

And here's a snippet of one of the pages ...

Notice how the focus seems to be with pre-crown soda bottles? Maybe the book includes embossed crowns as well as acls, I'm not sure. But neither am I sure if this truly qualifies as the type of soda bottle book I was hoping to find. When I started this thread I had forgotten that collectors had been interested in and had been collecting Civil War era and turn-of-the-century sodas for a long time, which also included what are typically referred to as 'Mineral Water' bottles. So I guess my next question should be, do you consider a mineral water bottle to be a soda bottle? Personally, I don't. What say you?

In other words, now I wish I had titled this thread ...

IN SEARCH OF ~ FIRST SODA BOTTLE BOOK ~ BUT CROWN SODA POP BOTTLES ONLY ~ NOT CIVIL WAR ERA MINERAL BOTTLES

If I were searching for a book involving mineral water bottles, I bet one exist prior to 1968!

Bob

Not really my category of collecting, but there are crown top soda bottles that do not quite fit your category. Maybe you should use the title of First book about A.C.L. Soda Bottles, I believe that fits the category better, correct???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottleopop

celerycola -

What is the year of the oldest book you have that is devoted specifically to soda bottle collecting?

Andy ~

Thanks for the contribution and question. At least you're back on topic again. And, yes, I guess you might say that I am looking for the first book solely devoted to not only acls but also early 1900s soda bottles like straight-sided Coca Cola bottles and the later 1920s and 1930s Deco soda bottles. As I said earlier, I'm primarily trying to find the book that can be attributed as being the first one published when soda pop bottle collecting really took off.

Thanks again

Bob

~ * ~

celery ~

If you have so many books in your library, I believe you said 150+, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just share your earliest one related to soda bottle collecting than to use a lot of rhetoric whose only purpose is to make a mountain out of a molehill? Perhaps you didn't see bottleopop's post #10. That's why I included it here, just in case you didn't see it.

Bob

morbious_fod

Reaction score

celery ~

If you have so many books in your library, I believe you said 150+, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just share your earliest one related to soda bottle collecting than to use a lot of rhetoric whose only purpose is to make a mountain out of a molehill? Perhaps you didn't see bottleopop's post #10. That's why I included it here, just in case you didn't see it.

Bob

Actually Sodapopbob, it was you that made a mountain out of a molehill, not Celery. Celery just posted some photos showing bottle books, and you exploded on him, and two other members, if you remember. Let's keep the facts straight.

Celery ~ Soda was trying to make something out of my use of the term assumption when describing his research method, that wasn't directed at you.

Soda, post what you want brother. I've never tried to stop you, if your current inquiry doesn't interest me then I certainly do "move along". Sometimes I try to help you out with your research if I think I can contribute anything.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I give up! ... [8|]

I guess I'll just have to assume that no one knows when the first soda bottle collecting book was published. Its a bummer, too, because this whole thing could have been solved by now if some experts had simply gone through their libraries, checked a few dates, and then shared those findings with everyone viewing this topic. But instead of that, what we have is a thread that's out of control. I'll never understand how a thread like this one can start our with a simple question and then so abruptly turn into a train wreck like this. I don't get it! I really don't!

Please, someone please tell me, what is so difficult to understand about the following question?

Does anyone know by who and what year the earliest soda bottle collecting book was published?

Anyhoo, its a moot question now so I guess I'll just move on.

Later alligators

Bob

[ End of Replies ]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide