Info on bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kerry

Reaction score
These bottles I have found underwater where I live in the Virgin Islands. They were all found at an old anchorage that ships used to stop at to bring salt back to Europe.

The one on the left is 12" and 3.5" it has stencilled on the top Van Hoytema &Co Holland. I have found gin bottles that this company did between 1830 and 1850 but nothing that looks like this

The one on the middle is black glass and very rough black glass at that, the whole bottle is it is 9 1/4 tall with a 3.75 base. I guess mid 1700's but who knows. I just found it yesterday, so I have not even cleaned it yet.

The one on the right is more recent, it is 10" high and the base is 3.5" It has a little stamp that is very hard to read down toward the base that says glasgow in the middle and on the top Port Dun___ perhaps Port Dunbar? It has a word, or serial # on the bottom on the stamp that i cannot read at all, and it looks like a little U below the stamp with 2 horizontal lines across the top of each side of the U.

We find quite a few old bottles around here, and have just started becoming interested in finding out more about them
Thanks Kerry

Ol31706.jpg

Roger

Reaction score
Welcome to Antique-Bottles.Net Kerry!!

Nice start to a collection, the Port is probably 'Port Dundas' here is some info from the Mitchell Library:

Wt59064.jpg

The Forth and Clyde Canal at Port Dundas, with the canal company's office building just behind the prow of the approaching sailing boat. The vessels which navigated the canal were not only conventional narrow boats carrying goods or passengers, but also sea-going vessels from the North Sea and the Irish Sea. The buildings shown indicate the growth of the "industrial estate" which developed around Port Dundas. In the centre is the canal company's office.

The Forth and Clyde Canal linked the Firth of Forth with the River Clyde and was 39 miles long. A branch was cut from Hamiltonhill to a new basin on One Hundred Acre Hill above Glasgow 1786-1790, and the port which grew up around the canal basin was named Port Dundas in honour of Sir Lawrence Dundas, the Governor of the Forth & Clyde Navigation Co.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn