Info on privy, probe etc.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
I will put all of this info to good use, thanks. Will take some pics tomorrow when I get out there. The circular depression is in a diagonal line from the back door, but there was a garage in a straight line from the back too, so maybe it was the privy?

Going to do some more research and looking around. Wish a piece of rebar would work as a probe. Have tons of that from a decrepit porch we tore down.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Ok, the x marks the spot where i found the depression. The arrow is where I think the privy would be. What do you guys think?

D9588CDAEF574A46B438661B26763430.jpg

Attachments

• D9588CDAEF574A46B438661B26763430.jpg
    D9588CDAEF574A46B438661B26763430.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 82

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Spent 3 hours this morning probing with a long drill bit rod. It went in the dirt smoothly for about 2 feet in places then hit rocks or something. I can't find any wood or brick liners. How do I find a pit without liners and is filled in with rocks and roots? I've never done this before, but I am determined to find the holes. Talked to the historical preservation president today and she said the house was actually moved in the 30's, so the house is about 15 ft closer to the street than on the sanborn map. He also has a lot of equipment in the way where I can't probe or dig at. Just makes it hard to locate any of the outbuildings since the house was moved and u can't tell where the original back door was.

So, please guys. What do I need to look for? Sanborn map is above, but don't have access to satellite imaging right now on my phone. What does a pit feel like? The lady also said they didn't have liners in the privies down here, but Idk if I believe her. Is there usually a liner regardless?

Thanks for anymore info that will help. Really itching to just locate these pits.

RedGinger

Reaction score
A lot of times, depending on various factors, the wood in a woodliner will have rotted away. You should still be able to tell a difference in the soil, though. You should try to located the four walls, if you can. You made need a longer probe until you are able to hear it hitting glass, or until it goes in easily. Keep working at it and you will get it. As Joe said, dig a test hole. Getting any shards or pieces of pottery at the top? The privy could even be at the property line at the other street. In bigger lots like this, I always think it should be closer to the house, but you never know.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've heard in sandy soil, people used woodliners, which makes finding the privy very difficult. I've only gone up against rockliners so far. The best thing I can think to do is ask the homeowner if they've ever turned up glass or pottery when digging for a garden or something... That's how I found a privy in a very unusual place.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
I found some porcelain and glass shards in a test hole towards the back of the property. Thing is there are was a huge tangle of tree roots blocking anymore progress. Maybe it was a trash pit or something, but there weren't many shards. It was mostly in the first few inches of dirt, so Idk if its for real or not. Definitely not lined, unless the liner lays more than a couple feet down.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Anthonicia

I found some porcelain and glass shards in a test hole towards the back of the property. Thing is there are was a huge tangle of tree roots blocking anymore progress. Maybe it was a trash pit or something, but there weren't many shards. It was mostly in the first few inches of dirt, so Idk if its for real or not. Definitely not lined, unless the liner lays more than a couple feet down.

Sounds like you may have hit a privy. Roots would grow in a mat there, because the privy soil is very fertile. Also, privies usually had a brick foundation over them on which the building sat. When the privy was filled in, unfortunately for the bottles, these bricks were tossed into the privy. Therefore, the actual liner wouldn't appear until a couple feet down. Those shards are your best indication, at any rate. DIG IT!

jaken

Reaction score
If you need a quality spring steel probe I have em. http://www.privyprobe.com

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli