Ink Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

f1addict

Reaction score
This bottle has been in my family for over 30 years. It was originally dug by my mother at a dump here in Southern California, all that she remembers is that it was near a river. I was curious if anyone here could confirm that it is indeed an ink bottle and any other information you may have...

Bottle_s.jpg

The bottle is approximately 12 inches tall and 4 inches in diameter.

imprint_s.jpg

This is a detail of the lable.

Jim

Reaction score
It is indeed a master ink bottle. I dug one just like it here in Pennsylvania. These were imported from England and sold here in the US. Fairly common, but I love 'em! They are a great-looking stoneware bottle, and the embossing makes them even more interesting. ~Jim

tigue710

Reaction score
yup, they are fairly common, not worth a lot of money but very nice stoneware bottles. They retail around 10-20 bucks depending on the market and were used roughly from 1880-1910... More in the 19th century then 20th I believe, as they seem to show up more in pre t.o.c. dumps.

very nice pic's by the way...

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, we dig those here in Kentucky to. There is an earlier version that are found in pontil and civil war era pits. There's a difference in the stamp and pour spout I believe. Someone posted a couple side by side a while back. Chris

f1addict

Reaction score
very nice pic's by the way...

Thanks Tigue, I pulled my great grandmother's old Mahogany end table out for the setting, the table is probably older than the bottle. I'm a photographer so I tend to over-kill even the simplest of tasks when it comes to taking a picture.

Thank you everyone for all of your input on this bottle. It's great to finally have some history on this thing that's been holding dry flowers for the past 35 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski