Internal burst bubbles and tumbling

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
How safe are bottles with internal burst bubbles to tumble? I would think the glass behind the burst bubble would be very thin. Also, most dug bottles have flea bites around the lip; does tumbling tend to smooth these out or make them larger? Thanks.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Any very thin glass can break in the tumbler, especially if you tumble fast. I have problems with some early medicines that have paper thin corners. Flea bites on lips wont be affected much if you are just using polishing compound. If you use cutting compound thats another story.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Guntherhess is right about any thin glass can break very easily. As mentioned in his post, tumble slow 30 RPMs or even less.
I use plastic pellets for bubbles near the surface instead of the cut copper and an open type of lip stopple. It takes two to three times as long to get the same results with the plastic pellets. If you use a cutting oxide go slow and check often.
Fleabites can be taken out with a cutting oxide, but you need to be careful that it doesn't cut too much of the rest of the bottle (embossing, whittle, etc).
Stinger

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4