Iron pontiled demijohn

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
That is the first one I can recall seeing or even hearing about. I do not collect such items but do pay attention to such things in general. I believe it is very unusual but do not have any doubts about it's authenticity, looks absolutely correct.

LC

Reaction score
I only have one and it is open pontiled , had never seen one with an iron pontil before . Then to that is really not what I like as a rule so I have never paid a lot of attention to them .

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Demijohns are found with iron pontils, I have one right now.

NHkeith

Reaction score
beautiful whittle on that bottle...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I am not sure that is whittle. I see it is sold, so we may never know. It seems to me that it might have been made in a ceramic mold, or even a wooden mold - where the surface absorbed water effected the thickness of the glass all over the surface of the body. I tried to get back to this sellers listings because he had a bottle listed with internal threads in the neck. I wasn't successful. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Another thanks. I got the first one because my daughter bought it as my Christmas Present. Then after I got to this other one again - I decided I had to have it because of the internal threaded finish. I have been working to put together a blog on the tools used to make the internal threads and the early external threads for the hand blown bottles. I haven't found much printed information to help me, though. The thing that fascinates me is how the bottle maker could gauge the lead he had to control to make it a good continuous thread. Those early bottle makers had to be ox strong to hold the demijohn glass up in the air on a blowpipe, and a lot of the things they made, shows a lot of skill. RED Matthews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete