Irradiating bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

peejrey

Reaction score
brown cokes are not done with UV they are done with high energy radiation , probably neutron emissions
Sounds Dangerous! [:'(][X(]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Sounds Dangerous!

I doubt anyone is holding them while it is done[;)]

Probably done in places where they sterilize stuff like MREs or at a reactor. I have never known anyone that did it.

swizzle

Reaction score
I was just going to try a black light. I'm not sure if it is the exact same as the UV lamp needed to turn the bottles but I figured it'd be worth a shot. I'm not smart enough to set up my own multi-million dollar nuclear reactor to make a few extra bucks a year. [8D]
I was also considering a different kind of experiment. Maybe some black marker or cut out letters, names and designs into black tape to add to the glass. If I could black out a section of the glass then maybe that part will stay clear. Sort of the same as the 2 tone effect that you see once you clean the soot off of a insulator. Wouldn't you love to see a bottle with your name on it? Just a thought. I think it'd make a great gift and maybe a cheesy prize at a bottle show. Swiz

appliedlips

Reaction score
Go for it, if done responsibly and no collectible bottles are altered its a good way of earning some extra money on stuff that would otherwise be tossed. Tape will not block the uv rays however. When I have done it with bottles they were all still dirty and in a sealed box, still come out looking like a bunch of nuclear grapes. Of course I wasn't using a light box, it was more of the Homer Simpson method as Gunther suggested.

swizzle

Reaction score
I seem to be having trouble locating the page that shows how to nuke bottles. I remember it having a light tight box and a ton of foil lining the box but other then the UV light I don't know. Is there any other forms of light that could be used besides UV? Thanx for the comments. Swiz

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Based on recent experience and my opinion before that I am against it. I like natural sun colored amethyst bottles, there is nothing fake going on there. The extra purple nuked bottles are a turn off. A natural dark bottle I like however. Faked bottles ruin it for collectors like me that try to collect authentic bottles in uncommon colors. When it comes to that I hope the bottles I buy come from a digger and the bottle has a dug bottle history. If you want to nuke something buy a bunch of Wheatons and nuke them!

This opinion is in no way an affront against you Swizzle, my bottle brother[:)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I was just going to try a black light

A black light wont work. That is long wave UV.
You need higher energy short wave UV.
Similar to lamps used in tanning beds or water sterilizers.
I bought one of those UV furnace duct sterilizers on Fleabay. It has the bulb, mount, and the ballust transformer.

Keep in mind that short wave UV is DANGEROUS.
Dont look at it with your eyes unless you want your eyeballs burnt.
It also generates ozone which irriates some people's lungs. I wouldnt recommend using it in your bedroom while sleeping.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Swizz, I have no problem with the practice, as long as the bottles are commons.. but I don't think it's cost-effective unless you have access to facilities at work or you're not paying for electricity. Just something to consider..

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: peejrey

brown cokes are not done with UV they are done with high energy radiation , probably neutron emissions
Sounds Dangerous! [:'(][X(]

You aint kiddin this is what happened when some guy tried to turn his bottle blue!

AC421963A5964621BB9C5D89D4152820.jpg

Attachments

• AC421963A5964621BB9C5D89D4152820.jpg
    AC421963A5964621BB9C5D89D4152820.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 73

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter