Is this a common "typo" on a medicine bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Foodbreeze

Reaction score
I picked this up in the woods at a long abandoned logging camp in Northern MN. Looks like a typo, "FOF HOME USE" ?? Clearly, the "F" is different from the "R" and not just a chip in the glass or a flaw. How rare is this? Valuable? Should I just continue to drink whiskey out of it? :) The whole phrase from the bottle says, "THE RELIABLE OLD-TIME PREPARATION FOF HOME USE" the other side says, "PREPARED BY DR PETER FAHRNEY & SONS CO. CHICAGO, ILL.U.S.A." [attachment=bottletypo.jpg]

Attachments

• 238a07e7195b4d5d9d48c48c13f24396.jpg
    238a07e7195b4d5d9d48c48c13f24396.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 68

botlguy

Reaction score
I am quite familiar with this bottle in general but not with the error. That does make it unusual but, in my opinion, not particularly valuable. The typical example of this very common / plentiful bottle is worth, again in my opinion, maybe $1 - $2. With the error I would say $10.00. Jim

strongj5678

Reaction score
Normally in clear glass these are very common. Is this an amber color or is it just because it is full of whiskey? In amber it would be rare, I've never seen one.

botlguy

Reaction score
"In amber it would be rare, I've never seen one" I do have to agree with this but have seen them (rarely) in amber. (I've been collecting 50 years) The problem with value may be in the desirability, does anybody want one? I don't know, I personally wouldn't pay anything for it because it doesn't appeal to me. Others may pay quite a bit. I will back out of the conversation and monitor the discussion, I think this is good for our group. Jim

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's not amber, that's just the whiskey. Bottle typos aren't usually seen as that valuable, since generally a lot of them get made before anyone bothers fixing the typo. The embossing wasn't the most important aspect of the bottle back then, the label often covered it anyway. Some bottles have something misspelled on every known example; people may have noticed the error but it wasn't worth getting a new mold made.

strongj5678

Reaction score
Gee, I guess I'm a rookie. I've only been collecting for 40 years...

Foodbreeze

Reaction score
Sorry, the amber color is the Whiskey! I'm working on getting it clear...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS