Is this a pepper sauce bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IslandJoe

Reaction score
Hello all. I’ve had this bottle for about 15 years now. At the time I’d never seen anything like it but now I recognize it’s a gothic or cathedral style bottle. The thing is my eye isn’t trained enough to pick out whether it’s pontiled or not…also I can’t find a single example of anything else online that looks similar. Does anyone here recognize this bottle? Is it really for pepper sauce or just made in that style?

Attachments

• D316EB55-D277-476F-8C33-CF1D4E3E912C.jpeg
    D316EB55-D277-476F-8C33-CF1D4E3E912C.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 150
  • E3F76EC1-F32C-4F4E-80E1-4D3AF2E21230.jpeg
    E3F76EC1-F32C-4F4E-80E1-4D3AF2E21230.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 149
  • A295CB40-56AB-4847-B251-DBE08201F111.jpeg
    A295CB40-56AB-4847-B251-DBE08201F111.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 157

Skoda

Reaction score
Welcome! Your bottle looks to be in the style of a cologne or other perfume from the turn of the 20th century. The base does not appear to be pontiled, just looks to me like some concentric mold irregularities/stretching of the glass- I see that in late 1800's-early 1900's era mold blown bottles fairly often but I don't know what causes it. Here is a site featuring some cologne bottles in a similar shape that predate your example by about 50-70 years: https://antiquebottlehunter.com/colognes.html

The bottle was originally clear and was "nuked" by someone at some point (irradiated to turn the manganese used to make the glass clear into a deep purple).

IslandJoe

Reaction score
Welcome! Your bottle looks to be in the style of a cologne or other perfume from the turn of the 20th century. The base does not appear to be pontiled, just looks to me like some concentric mold irregularities/stretching of the glass- I see that in late 1800's-early 1900's era mold blown bottles fairly often but I don't know what causes it. Here is a site featuring some cologne bottles in a similar shape that predate your example by about 50-70 years: https://antiquebottlehunter.com/colognes.html

The bottle was originally clear and was "nuked" by someone at some point (irradiated to turn the manganese used to make the glass clear into a deep purple).
Thank you. I heard that about nuking to change color before.

It seems awfully wonky to be from the turn of the century. It barely stands up and the mold line doesn’t continue up the neck. Does that mean it’s just a good fake then?

Skoda

Reaction score
Thank you. I heard that about nuking to change color before.

It seems awfully wonky to be from the turn of the century. It barely stands up and the mold line doesn’t continue up the neck. Does that mean it’s just a good fake then?
Oh, to be clear it's most likely from the mid 1880's-1910's! It's not a fake or a replica

DavidW

Reaction score
Definitely NOT a replica or fake. It is a real, original handmade bottle that has been irradiated.

Keep in mind that ALL handmade (mouth-blown) bottles, even those made up into the 1910s or so, can potentially still be somewhat crude-looking simply because they are handmade.

IslandJoe

Reaction score
Definitely NOT a replica or fake. It is a real, original handmade bottle that has been irradiated.

Keep in mind that ALL handmade (mouth-blown) bottles, even those made up into the 1910s or so, can potentially still be somewhat crude-looking simply because they are handmade.
Good point! I didn’t really consider that.

SPC

Reaction score
Hello all. I’ve had this bottle for about 15 years now. At the time I’d never seen anything like it but now I recognize it’s a gothic or cathedral style bottle. The thing is my eye isn’t trained enough to pick out whether it’s pontiled or not…also I can’t find a single example of anything else online that looks similar. Does anyone here recognize this bottle? Is it really for pepper sauce or just made in that style?

SPC

Reaction score
Hi. In my opinion, yes, that is a cathedral Pepper sauce. Most bottles that turned purple were made from 1860 to 1915. Before 1860 they used lead (you might have heard of lead crystal) & then they started substituted manganese for the lead. There were some companies that continued using the manganese after 1915 and they were Heisey, Duncan & Miller, Fostoria, Cambridge & Imperial glass companies. I do not think there is any problem wondering if it were made after 1915, instead I would wonder how close to 1860 it was made. When they first started blowing glass and for a long, long time afterward they just left the jagged edges of where it was broken off. Some time, mostly after 1800 some would do another step & make what they called a polished pontil. This might be what you have but I would have to see it to be sure. Iron pontils also were not quite so jagged but yours is certainly not an iron pontil. I will write more later when I get a chance. I will try and pull out my many bottle books & check dimensions. Until then, Stephen.

IslandJoe

Reaction score
Th
Hi. In my opinion, yes, that is a cathedral Pepper sauce. Most bottles that turned purple were made from 1860 to 1915. Before 1860 they used lead (you might have heard of lead crystal) & then they started substituted manganese for the lead. There were some companies that continued using the manganese after 1915 and they were Heisey, Duncan & Miller, Fostoria, Cambridge & Imperial glass companies. I do not think there is any problem wondering if it were made after 1915, instead I would wonder how close to 1860 it was made. When they first started blowing glass and for a long, long time afterward they just left the jagged edges of where it was broken off. Some time, mostly after 1800 some would do another step & make what they called a polished pontil. This might be what you have but I would have to see it to be sure. Iron pontils also were not quite so jagged but yours is certainly not an iron pontil. I will write more later when I get a chance. I will try and pull out my many bottle books & check dimensions. Until then, Stephen.
Thanks so much for your input. I will look into the companies you mentioned and see if any of them are more likely to have been in north Florida (fernandina beach) where this bottle was found.

I’ll see if I can get a better photo of the bottom of it once I get home this evening. The blu tack I use to keep from falling over is still kinda stuck to the bottom in the photos I posted. Looking forward to hearing what you find in your books!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, do consult your bottle books, Stephen.
bottles_irradiate.JPG

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26