is this a true mountain dew bottle??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cherise

Reaction score
find it hard to believe that there is no history of the bottle...hard to say what happened way back when but you would think that out of all the dew collectors the bottle would have shown up alot more...

jblaylock

Reaction score
I love the extent you guys will go through to solve the puzzle. I can't wait to see if professor Daube emails you back. This is very interesting!!!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cherise

find it hard to believe that there is no history of the bottle...hard to say what happened way back when but you would think that out of all the dew collectors the bottle would have shown up alot more...
I have a feeling Professor Daube may have made these up for his study on teenagers and violence, I await his reply to my e-mail....Jim

cherise

Reaction score
mountain dew only had two 32oz no return bottles......the acl party jug 1968 & a paper label one, also 1968 and the paper label bottle does not have the embossed yummy yummy on top of it....the paper label bottle is extremely rare so even if the labels were gone, i dont know why a person would doctor it up with fake acl look..?...plus that doesnt explain the yummy on top.....which i have never seen either dew bottle yet so doesnt mean there is another extremely rare bottle out there......but it doesnt add up that there is no known records of this bottle, while with the other bottles do......but then again, maybe there was that one bottle plant tried something different & it wasnt marketed? My gut tells me this is not a dew bottle but i would still take it...lol...

epackage

Reaction score
I don't think it's a Dew bottle either, I get the feeling it was a paper label for some other brand that may have been made by Daube for his study. He might have thought Daube's Mountain Dew just sounded cool or was a bit funny for the study. If he doesn't know about them then I'm lost...

Maybe someone from a Mountain Dew Bottler named Daube made them as a goof years ago...[:-]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The one thing more than anything else that I don't believe could have been faked is the embossed "Yummy." There's just gotta be a brand of soda pop (1950s-60s) that used that on their bottles. And because the bottle itself was made by Owens-Illinois 7 (I) 59 then I suspect it was most likely a United States brand. By the way, the embossed 7 on the base indicates the bottle was made in Alton, Illinois.

But just in the off-chance the bottle was made for a foreign brand of soda, the following link has an extensive list of brands from around the world. Maybe there is a clue hidden there somewhere regarding the word "Yummy." Its not listed as a brand name, but it may pop-up among the "blue" headings that are clickable, of which I have only checked a few so far. Plus the site is kinda cool anyway and might serve as a valuable tool for future research.

I'll be back!

SPB

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_soft_drinks_by_country

C9DF00971E854D439A7EDEFA9FAF9DD4.gif

Attachments

• C9DF00971E854D439A7EDEFA9FAF9DD4.gif
    C9DF00971E854D439A7EDEFA9FAF9DD4.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 95

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record here's a for-sure/real-deal pre-1968 28 oz Mountain Dew bottle shown alongside it's lil' 10 oz brother.

SPB

628DFC9E339E43C49430D40A030C90CC.jpg

Attachments

• 628DFC9E339E43C49430D40A030C90CC.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 77

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Just for the record here's a for-sure/real-deal pre-1968 28 oz Mountain Dew bottle shown alongside it's lil' 10 oz brother.

SPB

Note that these two bottles are actually Canadian bottles and weren't produced until after Mountain Dew was purchased by Pepsi Cola in 1964.

A few points

#1 there is no registration mark on the bottle in question anywhere. Even the original Barney & Ally bottles have the R in a circle.

#2 We are talking 1959, this would have been the period when the original formula was still being used by the Tip Corporation, and in reality around two years since the brand was signed over to them in 1957. They certainly didn't have franchises in Canada, as Bill Jones was producing the concentrate himself in Marion, VA and that's one hell of a shipping cost for a tiny company such as Tip. Pepsi ended up purchasing the brand because Bill Jones couldn't keep up after the introduction of his new formula, modern formula, around 1960-1962. Only 14 of the sweet 16 non-Pepsi bottlers have been identified, two in Florida, one in North Carolina (the rest are Pepsi bottlers), one in Ohio, three in South Carolina, Tri-City Beverage in Tennessee of course (Hartman had stopped bottling it), one in texas, and five in Virginia. Aside from the two in Florida and one in Texas the brand really hadn't gotten out of the general four state area surrounding the home base in Marion, VA.

#3 Bill Jones would have been aware that this individual was trying to use his own name to promote Mountain Dew and would have put a stop to that, just like what recently happened with Dublin Dr. Pepper.

To be honest with you Bill Jones only had five franchises for Mountain Dew at the beginning in 1957 and all of them were partners in the corporation aside from Tri-City Beverage. I'm doubting that he had built up a huge number of them by 1959, and most of the bottles out there are from the 1960's, with some exceptions. All of them also look completely legit as compared to the bottle in question which looks cheap, and is missing the main part of the Mountain Dew trademark, the hillbilly with the rifle scene, which is obviously the hardest to replicate.

Believe what you want, but I'm sticking to the old adage of buyer beware, until I can get one of these in my hand I'll just avoid these.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb ~

Thanks ...

I was hoping you'd come along and share your years of expertise with us. I'm with you in that I too suspect the bottle is fake. I'd sure like to have one in my hands to examine closer. But whoever did it must have either had an original silk-screen stencil to use or else was extremely talanted doing that sort of thing free-hand. If an expert in such things were able to determine the type of paint used, I bet that would settle it once and for all.

By the way, I'm curious to know more about those Canadian bottles. The majority of the 28 oz examples I've seen in books and elsewhere have "It'll tickle yore innards!" on one side of the neck and the French wording of "Un bon p'tit boire!" on the other side. But if you will take a close look at the one I posted earlier (which I did a super-zoom on) you will notice by looking through the bottle to the other side that its definitely a y and a dotted i for yore innards that I see. (Note: The site I got that particular picture from didn't say anything about the bottle being Canadian).

Below is a close up of a Canadian bottle that you can see through to the other side where it obviously has the "Un bon p'tit boire!" (Following this post I will show a closeup picture of the French/Canadian side).

Anyhoo ... My questions are:

1. Were all of the 28 oz bottles Canadian or just the majority of them?
2. Were there also American bottles made in the 28 oz size that had "It'll tickle yore innards!" on both sides?

Thanks again.

SPB

[ American Wording ]

1699EA8B19E847918A4B4FF04CF2D2C9.jpg

Attachments

• 1699EA8B19E847918A4B4FF04CF2D2C9.jpg
    1699EA8B19E847918A4B4FF04CF2D2C9.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ French/Canadian Wording ]

E73BFC5486244A84952E2E9F1DAF418D.jpg