is this a true mountain dew bottle??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a cropped image of the 28 oz bottle I was referring to where you can see "It'll tickle yore innards!" on both sides. Is this a Canadian or American bottle?

Thanks.

Bob

F73C1232E74E49128EB720F6B5ECE995.jpg

Attachments

• F73C1232E74E49128EB720F6B5ECE995.jpg
    F73C1232E74E49128EB720F6B5ECE995.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 98

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the eBay link again so we won't have to click back 3 pages to access it. The auction closes tonight at ...

9:02 PM Eastern Time

6:02 PM Pacific time

Currently at $161.50 with 7 bids

What do these bidders know that we don't or are they just going out on a limb and speculating?

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180850772661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And while I'm at it, here's a slightly larger picture of the 28 oz bottle that has "It'll tickle yore innards!" on both sides. This is the best enlargement I could dew. [:D] To view it larger just save it to your photo gallery and then zoom in on it. If it turns out there were in fact American versions of the 28 oz bottles, then I suspect they might be even rarer than their Canadian counterparts. ???

SPB

35E8AF8406CD4675B8529F75E57841FB.jpg

Attachments

• 35E8AF8406CD4675B8529F75E57841FB.jpg
    35E8AF8406CD4675B8529F75E57841FB.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 79

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I hope I haven't overstayed my welcome on this thread, which I have a tendency to do at times, but I guess its just my nature to latch onto something with a bear-trap-like-grip until the very end, especially if it involves additional research which I love doing. So with that said I hope you will allow me one more indulgence by posting the following, which is primarily for those among us who may not be familar with the intricies and difficulty involved with applying a color label to a soda bottle. The article was first published in 1939, but is, in my opinion, still one of the best ever written on the subject. But I suppose with today's technology that it might not be as difficult to do something like this as one might think ... or is it?

By the way, I'm not suggesting the Daube's Mountain Dew bottle is genuine, because I don't believe it is, but rather that it seems to me it would be rather difficult to do something like that in one's garage.

SPB

1939 Article ...

When the bottles are ready for decoration, the color design is printed on them in the process that superficially resembles many printing or engraving processes. The color is applied in the form of a paste‑like material, through a screen of silk, in which the design has been formed. The bottle which contains the impression of that design must then be dried and then fired by conducting it through a lehr, which is a long, tunnel‑like enclosure through which the bottles pass at a carefully controlled rate of speed and in which definite zones of temperature are maintained. The maximum temperature chosen is such that the glass body will not melt, but the softer glass involved in the color will melt and rigidly fuse on the glass beneath it. This process also brightens the design through the melting of the super-imposed color material and results in the familiar colorfully labeled bottle that we see on the market today.

The process is not so simple as it sounds. The material referred to above as a paste actually consists of finely ground low fusing, lead, borosilicate glasses, to which an oxide or a salt or other mineral pigments have been added. After passing through the various processing steps in manufacture of the color, the finished product is produced as an extremely fine powder, for the product is ground through a paint mill similar to those used in manufacture of paint and enamels.

The basic color material, therefore, consists of a glass of low softening paint. This is a quality which calls for certain care in bottle washing which will be taken up in a later paragraph. While these colors may be painted on bottles by hand, and frequently were in the early days of this type of decoration, the present generally used method involves employment of silk screen of very fine mesh. The interstices in the screen, where no printing is desired, are filled With gelatin or similar materials. The portions of the screen where printing is desired, contain no gelatin but simply the fine mat of screen. The screen is so finely constructed that as a rule it would hold water without the use of the gelatin filling material, although oils and paste can be pressed through it.

In the beginning of the silk stencil process the designs were carefully cut by hand with a knife. The life of these screens were short and the method of preparing them made them quite costly. Later photographic methods were developed which allow extremely complicated designs, fine registers, the employment of several colors superimposed, and other great advantages at markedly reduced costs. These factors contributed much to the growing popularity of applied color labels.

In summing up the methods of manufacture, we can state that applied color letters are permanently fused onto the glass , and are composed chiefly of colored glasses themselves. They are applied somewhat as a printing process, after which the bottle is dried and then brought to a temperature at which these glasses will fuse to the glass body.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
If there is a Daube's connection then the bottle may be from Australia. Mountain Dew did have bottles in Australia, but not as early as 1958 as indicated on the bottle. I am trying to find some pics of examples, but they are throw-away type bottles with the old school hillbilly/pig acl, not embossing. The bottles were made in the U.S. like the canadian ones.

I am just trying to feed you info for the Daube's lead you found SodaB. I don't buy into it being real at all. Maybe it is possible if it was a long lost Australian bottle?

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Well, I can't find any examples online. Will take a pic of the one in my bottle book to give you an idea. It looks like the shorty, stubby, one-way bottles. It's just painted and not embossed.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Ant ~

Thanks for the input. We may never solve this riddle, but if we do it will likely take the combined efforts of all of us. I have always believed in the old addage "one clue leads to another." In the meantime, I'm joining the Morb club and will have to see a bird in the hand before I buy two in the bush.

By the way, that bird sold for $275.00 ... Who is that bidder/buyer, anyway?

SPB

Just for the record, and to use as a resource the next time that bird comes up for sale, here's the copy/pasted description in the seller's own words ...

Welcome to FIVE FORKS PARTNERSHIP located in Rural New Athens, Illinois!
We are a FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS Established in 1999 which buys vintage collectibles and authentic antiques Directly at ILLINOIS AND MISSOURI Estate Sales and Auctions. MOST IMPORTANT, We BUY OUR ITEMS DIRECTLY FROM THE FARMS, OLD HOMESTEADS, AND ESTATE SALES and then SELL ALL OUR PURCHASED ITEMS IMMEDIATELY TO YOU on EBAY!!!! THESE ITEMS HAVEN'T BEEN "RECYCLED" OVER AND OVER. YOU ARE ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE TO SEE THESE FOUND COLLECTIBLES AND ANTIQUES!

FREE SHIPPING TO CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES ONLY!!!

RARE EARLY MOUNTAIN DEW BOTTLE..DAUBE'S MOUNTAIN DEW BOTTLE IT'LL TICKLY YORE INNARDS!!!!! ORIGINAL MOUNTAIN DEW YUMMY YUMMY BOTTLE..VINTAGE MINT CONDITION 32 FL. OZ. PER THE BASE. ALSO MARKED WITH A 7 AND A 59 FOR 1959? YUMMY YUMMY EMBOSSED ON THE SHOULDER/TOP. NEAR MINT CONDITION..JUST A VERY MINISCULE DING ON THE TOP RIM. NO OTHER DAMAGE!!!!!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb ~

Thanks for the follow up. But mainly I'm posting this reply as a test the adminastration is working on because I'm having a problem in that I have to keep logging in every time I access this site. My settings seem to be okay and the problem appears to be something else. I got a new Dell computer recently and that may have something to do with it. Anyway, just disregard this for the most part and consider it a test only.

Thanks.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is another test regarding my Log In problem. My Administrative Helper asked that I post a reply to see if my Log In will stick this time. So I figured this was as good a place as any to try it.

Thanks for your understanding.

SPB

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1