Is this book worth the $9 as a reference guide?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Just curious, thanx for any input

0EDCCDAE24154EDFA97A39F3BF3EF558.jpg

Attachments

• 0EDCCDAE24154EDFA97A39F3BF3EF558.jpg
    0EDCCDAE24154EDFA97A39F3BF3EF558.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 92

coboltmoon

Reaction score

If the information in the book keeps you from over paying for a bottle it will pay for itself. If the book identifies just one bottle you cant identify it will pay for itself.

I personally would spend an extra $5 and buy a Kovel’s bottle book, it will list 10 times bottles.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I would put the nine bucks away, along with the $14 for the Kovel's and the next $12 spent on another "general guide" and buy a good category specific book put out by someone in the hobby rather than a big company that makes a living out of producing "guides". I bought piles of these books when I was getting started and now have thrown them out.

bottlediger

Reaction score
same boat as doug, as most everyone else. My favs - Ring/Ham bitters book, Greer Catalog, Odel pontil meds, Gunthers Med Cd, Red Book, and McKearin American bottles and Flask

Digger Ry

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

That's the 2005 edition in that series of his. I paid $12.99 for mine @ a chain bookstore. Same price for the 2007 edition, which is a bit lengthier. He's got some great bottles pictured. Very little information beyond the photos, descriptions and dating ranges. and what a lot of bottle folk think are generally inflated or unrealistic values. It is my understanding that the prices "quoted" in Polak, or the Kovels, or Megura are based on actual sales. Hugh Cleveland's book always had markedly lower prices and elstinko photography. But what the heck do I know. I've bought a mere handfull of bottles over the years, and never sold one. I annotate My copies when I find one of the bottles therein.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I have that book, but I picked mine up at a flea market for $2... I couldn't pass it up. I don't find those bottles yet, though.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Found this _Collecting New Jersey Antiques_ book that you may or may not find of interest along with some other glasscentric books with New Jersey themes. You might want to poke around the site a bit. There is a plethora of Jersey stuff, though nothing that I could identify as Paterson specific.

glass man

Reaction score
THIS FORUM WILL BEAT THAT BOOK ANYDAY!MOST OF THE BEST BOOKS DON'T GIVE PRICES,BUT RAREITY. PRICES ARE WHATEVER YOU CAN GET FOR A BOTTLE AND THESE BOOKS HAVE THE PRICE FROM WHATEVER SOURCES THEY CAN GET,AUCTION,FLEA MARKET,ON AND ON. THEY CAN BE WAY OVER PRICED OR WAY UNDER PRICED,HARDLY EVER RIGHT ON ,WHAT EVER THAT IS.

COURSE IF I GOT MONEY I COLLECT BOTTLE BOOKS AS A SIDE LINE TO THE HOBBY,BUT PUT LITTLE STOCK IN THEM. SPECIALLY THE KIND THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AT BOOK STORES.COLLECTORS OF BOTTLES KNOW MORE AND THE MORE BOTTLE COLLECTORS YOU KNOW THROUGH OUT THE COUNTRY THE BETTER IDEA YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GOT!

THAT IS WHY I LOVE IT HERE CAUSE WHEN I GET A BOTTLE FROM OHIO,PA.,CAL,ANY WHERE IN THE STATES AND CANADA, I CAN ASK ON HERE AND USUALLY SOME ONE CAN TELL ME HOW RARE IT IS IN THEY LOCATION AND THE PRICE IT FETCHES THERE! I LIVE IN GA. AND KNOW PEOPLE THAT CAN HELP ME HERE!

LOCATION MEANS ALOT! WHAT IS RARE HERE IN GA. CAN BE VERY COMMON SOMEPLACE ELSE IN THE USA! BOOKS CANNOT TAKE ALL THAT INTO CONSIDERATION! THAT IS ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS BOUT THIS FORUM! AN ESTIMATION RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!

LIKE I SAID BOOKS ARE FUN TO COLLECT AND SOME CAN BE VERY INFORMATIVE,BUT BOOKS LIKE KOVELS,POLAKS ARE FUN TO LOOK AT ,[SPECIALLY THE COLOR PICTURES] ,BUT NOT TO BASE THE SALE OF A BOTTLE ON AS THEY GET THE PRICES FROM SOMETHING THEY HAVE SEEN SELL,NOT AN AVERAGE OF LIKE 100 ,BUT MAYBE JUST ONE SELL THEY SAW AT AN AUCTION OR A ANTIQUE SELL,FLEA MARKET, BOTTLE SHOW OR JUST A PRICE THEY PULLED OUT OF THEY AS$!ALSO THEY CAN BE VERY VAGUE,LIKE "CATHEDRAL PICKLE,10 INCHES HIGH,VERY ORNATE,AQUA,$500. WELL SOME POOR SUCKER SAYS "I HAVE THAT ONE,BUT THEY LEAVE OUT ALL THE PERTINATE INFO THAT MAKES IT WORTH WHAT IT IS! YOU KNOW LIKE "THIS BOTTLE IN A WILLINGTON! DON'T PUT YOUR TRUST IN THEM! REMEMBER THEY ARE BOTTLE CANDY![&:] JAMIE

runvs56

Reaction score
You Can Get This Warman's Bottle Field Guide 2nd Edition On Amazon New for $0.19 Plus The $3.99 Shipping. Just A little over 4 bucks isn't bad. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089689620X/sr=8-1/qid=1256301670/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1256301670&sr=8-1&seller=

Poison_Us

Reaction score
We had this book, or something very similar, and tossed it. Major reason: if your not familiar with the bottles your looking for, it's damn near impossible to find in the book, and it's probably not very complete. And I have to agree with those who say, if you buy a book, buy one that is specific to a line of bottles from someone who has been in the hobby for years and has a name for themselves as an authority. And of course, here is a wonderful place to find info as well. There is wealth of history here already discussed, and the near real time feedback on new items.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1