It was an Anti-fag day...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Found this little ANTI-FAG bottle today. I have seen a similar one made in Baltimore , I beleive by the Gilbert Company that is fairly rare. I'm wondering if this was one possibly before Gilbert aquired the trade mark. The embossing is sort of crude and bottle is whittled. Smoking cures seem to be fairly rare in general.
I guess this might of been a sample version of the Gilbert embossed larger one too.

05BED2054F794D4EB89D5B319D4E0B3C.jpg

Attachments

• 05BED2054F794D4EB89D5B319D4E0B3C.jpg
    05BED2054F794D4EB89D5B319D4E0B3C.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 89

swizzle

Reaction score
I wasn't sure what I was reading at first. I thought maybe they found a "cure" for being gay. I forgot that they used to call cigerette's, fags. That makes more sense. I never thought that they had quit smoking cures 100 years ago. I guess I sometimes look back on the past as being much more primative then it really was. Swizzle

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
hahaha that bottle is pretty cool. I've never seen anything like it. I had no idea they used to call cigarettes "fags." Which I guess that does make sense if you look up the definition of "fag." A big bundle of cancer sticks.

And Swizzle, you crack me up. [sm=lol.gif]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think people have always known smoking was addictive and bad for you. That becomes obvious to anyone who smokes. It just has always been advertised as if that wasnt true.

capsoda

Reaction score
Maybe it was just really strong and you only needed a little to get hi....um...urrr....I mean cured.[:)]

or maybe I should go throw some on that on that weird kid up at the corner store.[&:]

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Cigarettes are still commonly called fags over here in the UK. The modern US meaning of the word has not caught on here. Can make for some amusing misunderstandings.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Can make for some amusing misunderstandings.

yes, I found out if you want a snack in England dont ask for cookies...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4