It's the BUG man...again!!!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pupman

Reaction score
While I was replying to another e-mail in a different part of the forum I thought you guys would enjoy seeing 1830-50's roach traps.I have four ,three were dug in Bklyn and the other in Manhatten.They are certinly great g0-withs for my Lyons powder collection! Kev

92074974D6AB4426A1CD3893EC159004.jpg

Attachments

• 92074974D6AB4426A1CD3893EC159004.jpg
    92074974D6AB4426A1CD3893EC159004.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 25

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hey Kev I like your insect traps. I have one we dug from a circa 1810-30 era Baltimore privy. Its interesting that mine was found less then a block away from were it was made. About a year later construction uncovered a kiln site. The site was the pottery of David Brown Jr he was working from 1807-1833 at this site and produced mainly redware and expermented with some stoneware. We actually found several pieces of similar traps at his site. So I'm pretty sure it was a product he was making. Also sever other intact and broken examples have been found in pits in the same area. Can I ask what size are yours?

Chris

AF146570AC4E40F1BFBC9CA758276AAA.jpg

Attachments

• AF146570AC4E40F1BFBC9CA758276AAA.jpg
    AF146570AC4E40F1BFBC9CA758276AAA.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 31

idigjars

Reaction score
Kevin, very cool and interesting. I would have never guessed what they were. Thanks for sharing the pic Kevin, you too Chris. Paul

LC

Reaction score
My home place had a privy for a while before we had the luxury of an inside bathroom. I never did worry once about a bug, it was those dam snakes that I kept an eye out for, got run out of the old privy several times. At that time, as far as I was concerned, a black snake was a man eater as well a killer !
Matter of fact, I never did think about digging it. The house was a Sears & Roebuck house, built in 1927. My Great Grandfather sold land his home was located on across the railroad tracks, and in turn built this house. Yes Folks my family came from across the tracks. The house is still in the family matter of fact. You reckon there would be anything in it worth digging it for ? The lot next to it had a house there as well when I was a kid, a tiny place with a loose rock foundation. Have no idea how old it was, had to be as old as the home place or maybe older I would guess.A short elderly woman lived there. Sat at the door in the summer with the door open, chewed tobacco, and would spit out the door. We thought that was the funniest thing we had ever seen. She was a very nice lady as well, and I was elected by my Mother to be the one who would go over and do things for her should the need arise. Always had a great time listening to the stories she would tell me of the good old days gone by. The house has long been gone, and the lot is now part of the home place. It had a privy at the back corner of the lot too, but I put up a building for my Dad back in the early seventies right over top of it. What the hell was I thinking !!

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Chris,They measure 6 1/2" across the base and are from 2 1/2-3" tall.Does that conform with yours? Mine are very early too having been dug ron early houses! Thanks for the great info and sharing I don't think theres too many around!(at least intact!) Kev
Thanks Paul, I'm glad you enjoy them!

pupman

Reaction score
Hi L.C. Great story about the privy.Unfortunatly if the house was just built in the 1920's the pit would probably not yeild much but who knows! Maybe there was an earlier structure on the site and another privy,so you can never say never! Kev

LC

Reaction score
You are probably right Kev, most likely nothing to make it worth the effort, other than a person saying he had the opportunity to dig in their own crap ! My Grandfather was born in the house across the tracks in 1898. Over the years I have tried to find its location, but have not been successful. No picture or nothing to go by. Plan on trying again this winter now that a lot of the weeds and other brush have died off some. There has to be some good stuff here locally, Sardinia, the town I grew up in was founded in 1830. There is a site where a two story log cabin stood at the west end of town that was inhabited in the late 1700s, the large family grave yard is still there intact.
The roach traps you posted are fantastic, I never would have thought they were that old or what they actually were for that matter. Thanks for the post.

pupman

Reaction score
Hi L.C., I wish I could have given you better news about thwe privy but keep looking around,look for those magic 1850's houses with their long windows and peaked roofs,then get permission and dig that outhouse! Kev

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete