J-J-J-J-JUGGGGGS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Oh boy, do I have a great pair of jugs to show you fine folks!

The first one is this sort of ovoid Albany Slip jug, I think it's a quart size? maybe? My local expert estimates 1850's on the age. Bought it locally here in western NY.

View attachment 244632

View attachment 244633

The second jug is another ovoid one, this one I believe to be 2 gallons, has some cobalt blue on it. Also had my expert weigh in on the age when I stopped to buy a cheapo cork for it today, he says 1830's, 1840's like the jug in my other thread. Only bigger. And a bit more.....primitive. It's got some marks and stuff on it. But I really like imperfections in my bottles/stoneware....up to a limit of course.
View attachment 244637
View attachment 244638
Okay! I love to look at jugs too! Damn! You just can't seem to NOT say that, it's so hilarious! LOL! Nice! You know, this brings to a more serious side of "jugs." I recently found some good quality clear glass jugs. Probably from the 70's at an old abandoned farm house. Since I'm not sure of the value, I only grabbed one to actually use. The old clay ones you have are obviously of greater value. But, do the old glass jugs hold any value, since they no longer really make them anymore? Should I go collect the ones I left behind?

debodun

Reaction score
Some of the other stoneware I had but sold before moving.

1 gallon jug.jpg
1 gal crock with bail handle1.jpg
1 gallon Salzman jug1.jpg
2 gallon crock1a.jpg
2 gallon crock2a.jpg
white batter pitcher1.jpg
2 gallon white jug1.jpg
2 quart crock1.jpg
10 gal earred crock.jpg
Bellevue crock.jpg
white batter pitcher1.jpg

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
Okay! I love to look at jugs too! Damn! You just can't seem to NOT say that, it's so hilarious! LOL! Nice! You know, this brings to a more serious side of "jugs." I recently found some good quality clear glass jugs. Probably from the 70's at an old abandoned farm house. Since I'm not sure of the value, I only grabbed one to actually use. The old clay ones you have are obviously of greater value. But, do the old glass jugs hold any value, since they no longer really make them anymore? Should I go collect the ones I left behind?

I do not personally know of any glass jugs from the 70's that are particularly valuable but I could be wrong I suppose

moodorf

Reaction score
Another great jug find today! Which is good because I've scoured over just about every antique store within a 50 mile radius this winter, with the weather being so agreeable. I'm running out of places to look. But I digress.

I feel like I got a good deal on it. It does seem to be a Jacob Fisher jug (he was a prolific well-regarded potter in the late 19th century here in NY)

I managed to have the vendor knock $50 off it because I wasn't crazy about the "faded" look of it.

Or at least that's what I said ;)

20230328_165423.jpg

20230328_174241.jpg

20230328_174236.jpg

moodorf

Reaction score
All rightie, I guess this topic has reached the point where it's just me running away with my jug obsession, with no one besides debodun trying to keep up. Fair enough, this is primarily a bottle site after all.

Anyway, here's one with turkey droppings. (he said to himself as he posted the picture of the jug he's already seen for himself)

20230330_172226 (1).jpg

ugggghhhh nooooo......my life.....slowly being taken over.....by.....jugs.......cannot.....escape

aaaaaaaaaargh

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora