Joy bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dale

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a bottle I dug a couple of weeks ago. It is an amber blown in mold crown top Joy bottle that is 8" tall. Joy is written in script, and in the top part of the "J" is written "drink". Down below Joy in part of the "Y" is written "no tax on it". On the left hand side of "Joy" is "trade", and on the right hand side is "mark". At the bottom it say "R.M. Hughes & CO." and below that is "Louisville, Ky". I have not been able to find any information in any of my books, and I'm not sure if it was a soda water, beer, or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dale

7833628B7CB247A09B64A87AB601821C.jpg

Attachments

• 7833628B7CB247A09B64A87AB601821C.jpg
    7833628B7CB247A09B64A87AB601821C.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 87

Dale

Reaction score
Here is a closer look at the bottle.

D3B0DE6C36B444959A1C8B3730BF95F2.jpg

Attachments

• D3B0DE6C36B444959A1C8B3730BF95F2.jpg
    D3B0DE6C36B444959A1C8B3730BF95F2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 89

Dale

Reaction score
No one has replied,so does that mean no one has ever seen this bottle before? Dale

surfaceone

Reaction score
Howdy Dale,

I've never seen that bottle before. Is there any other information contained on the bottle? Is it ABM?

I did find some Vinegar related information concerning R.M Hughes:

-205302705271896400.jpg
"Pair of Vintage Stoneware mini jug in a nice two tone, brown and white bristol glaze with stamp under glaze. #1: Blue stamp: Compliments R.M. Hughes & Co. Monogram Fruit Vinegar Louisville, KY. 3.375 inches tall, 1.625 inch diameter base...' From.

There's more vinegary stuff at the Industries of Louisville, Kentucky, and of New Albany, Indiana of 1886. This would all be leading up to the introduction of your bottle. :"KENTUCKY CIDER AND VINEGAR WORKS.

Owen & Hughes, Manufacturers of Pure Ciders and Vinegars, Worcestershire Sauce. Pepper Sauce, Catsup ana
IMustard— Office and Warerooms, No. 923 West Broadway.

The use of prepared condiments is almost universal among civilized peoples the world
over. It is not necessary to inquire why this is so, or if a necessity exists in our condi-
tions of life, as contrasted with that of harharians, requiring the high seasoning of our
food in order to its proper assimilation. The fact remains that we all affect sauce?, mus-
tard, pepper, etc., and the only point upon wliich we need trouble ourselves involves the
purity of the ingredients, the cleanliness of the processes, and the palatableness of the
goods when set upon our tables. Cider and vinegar naturally come under the same head,
and the same remarks apply to them.

The Kentucky Cider and Vinegar "Works of Messrs. Owen & Hughes, No. 923 West
Broadway, is one of the most, complete and extensive of the kind in the South or "West.
The factory was established in 1882 by Hughes & Bros.; a year later the style became
Shannon & Hughes, and in 1884 Owen cS; Hughes, consisting of H. S. Owen and R. M.
Hughes. The present factory is located at Thirty-third street and Portland avenue, and
is a large and well-arranged concern, provided with presses and storage sufficient for all
practical purposes, and employing a full force of skilled operatives. The office and ware-
rooms. No. 923 "West Broadway, are convenient and capacious, occupying three floors,
thirty-five by ninety feet. The sales for 1885 reached about ten thousand barrels, and
will "be largely exceeded the present j-ear.

All of the goods manufactured and sold by this house are of the very best quality and
marketed on their merits. Their cider is pressed from sound selected fruit at the proj)er
season, and carefully stored for use in cellars kept at an even temperature, which prevents
fermentation and acidulation, and the beverage is as fresh, sweet, and fruity after six
months as when fir.st made, though perfectly clear and more palatable, if anything. Their
great specialty is the celebrated "Monogram" pure fruit vinegar a grade that needs only
to be tried to "be appreciated. It is in univcr-al demand by the best hou-ekeepers in this
and surrounding cities, and deservedly popular with the trade in general.

The firm also manufactures immense quantities of superior "VVorcester sauce, pepper
sauce, catsup and mustard, for which they find ready demand at remunerative prices. " From.

When in Louisville, you could swing by his old house. "* 1341 S. First Street (1890)
Eclectic
R.M. Hughes, vinegar manufacturer

The three-story brick and stone residence combines the Second Empire style reflected by a conical roof on a turret, a pair of Gothic Revival windows on the second floor of the turret, a Palladian window in a gable next to the conical roof, a recessed Romanesque window on the second floor beneath the gable, and a circular window with a carved wooden insert." From.

Ah, the joy of vinegar...

clark%20gableOTE=.jpg

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
sweet bottle, don't know anything about it and Ive never seen it before tho.

Dale

Reaction score
Hello surfaceone,the bottle is a BIM with no other marks or numbers. Thanks for the info.looks like this mite be fairly scareless bottle. Dale

athometoo

Reaction score
hey dale , glad to see your out digging again . how did that parkside creek turn out . sam

Dale

Reaction score
Hey Sam,this is one of the bottles I dug there. I got a lot of bottles out of that dump, most are common, I dug a couple of busted Royal Pepsin Bitters,I took my son down there one day and he dug a whole one!! It's a good dump in a bad location. I saw where you and Jay was talking about the Houston show I am going to try and make it. How have you been? Still digging at Lamar dump? Dale

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles