Jumbo pb question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BILL...ya lucky rascal...Now go out and dig the green elephant. [;)]
Methinks there is also an Owl jar with screw closure base, associated with Frank Tea & Spice Co...in addition to the Dove Brand products.

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey whiskeyman was looken for that green one today. only come up with another 1lb but this is agood one with the thick line an the saying on the bottom it funny thought the seams on the jar an the ones at the top dont match . thanks for looken an for the replys all.bill

Zx70544.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70544.jpg
    Zx70544.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 84

aqccorp

Reaction score
Hi there,
Are you going to keep the little Jumbo Peanut butter elephant or is it up for trade for federal reserve notes????....mac

aqccorp

Reaction score
Man, the green ones must be pretty rare....they are pricey.....it would have to be a Christmas present to myself...

karis66

Reaction score
I looked in the red book 9.There are listing# 1347 3 oz jars 4oz 4 1/2 ,5, 5 1/2 7 oz and 9 o/z as well as many others...
for a 3 oz jar it would sell for 100-125 ,without the lid it's value would 50-65
and the condition of the lid affect the value.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey X, There 9 different sayings on the bottom of the one pounders. I had them all at one time. There also many different sizes and styles of the Jumbo PB jars. Don't get fooled by the ruby red and cobalt versions of any of them. The elephant is the only Jumbo that came in clear and green. The rest were made in Mexico 10 or so years ago. Notice that the one pound bottle on the left has a light blue tint to it. I have never seen another like it.

Hey Bill, what ya need to know about Jumbo PB? I still have a pretty fair collection of Frank Tea and Spice Co. items.
A196CB7956134E7FAA95E4C7EC779882.jpg

Check out this link for more info....

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-63574/mpage-1/key-jumbo/tm.htm#63788

EndlesDreamer

Reaction score
Morning everyone, yesterday I dug a 10 1/2 oz. Jumbo Peanut Butter jar. Wanted to share some history behind it.
Jumbo was the world's first true celebrity elephant whose name became an eponym for thick-skinned peanut-eaters everywhere. His owner, P.T. Barnum, promoted Jumbo as the largest elephant on earth, and circus-goers from every civilized nation came to pay homage to him. At the peak of his popularity, Jumbo was run over by a freight train on Sept. 15, 1885. A lesser elephant would have been bulldozed into a pit and forgotten. Not Jumbo. His 1500+plus hide was stuffed and put on display at Tufts University. Generations of students embraced him as their own, he became the school's official mascot, and the teams are still called The Tufts Jumbos. In 1975, a fire destroyed the highly combustible elephant. Jumbo's ashes were scraped into a Peter Pan Crunchy Peanut Butter jar. Jumbo's aura still lingers over Tufts. A small statue in his honor graces the Quad. And Tufts athletes who run the peanut butter jar before their games report good luck.
The Frank Tea & Spice Co. produced Jumbo Peanut Butter from 1930-1967.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85