June 29th my home nearly destroyed, I love the weather but not this.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
On June 29th in the evening at around 1130 PM a straight line wind produced in thunderstorms called a derecho crossed the country in 24 hrs as most of you know it caused quite a bit of damage to trees and power lines in its path particularly in the Washington DC area and Southern New Jersey. Unfortunately for me my house was not spared.First came the wind damage,110 mph for about a minute and a half damaged quite a few trees around my property.Next the lightning was unreal,I was on the phone with my father who lives about 3 miles away and I was telling him I was looking at the radar and that the worst of the storm that had just hit our area was moving East and the storm should be letting up.Right at that precise moment a bolt of lightning hit the large 300 year old oak tree between my neighbors house and my own, it bounced into each of our homes causing extensive roof damage and plenty of destruction of my electrical equipment in my home.
We had no power for 36 hours so it was tough to tell what exactly was damaged. When the power was restored and I could test everything electrical the following was determined to be literally blown up. 1- 50 inch led TV,1-36 inch led TV,1-40 inch plasma TV / computer monitor,1- MFC printer,1-fax machine,1-PC home,1-PC work,1-refrigerato and 1-freezer.All of these totaled a little over 6000.00 dollars,my roof estimate is to replace the entire roof and the burnt rafters came in at 7500.00.Ironically my weather equipment mounted on the roof sustained no damage and is working fine. As I am typing this a nasty storm is bearing down on us again.We are all OK and that is what really matters,and I am slowly restoring things in my home.The partially tarped roof is holding for now and work will begin this weekend on the new roof. The Home owners insurance estimate is for 10,500 a little low but much appreciated. No bottles were damaged in the attic got to go,it is now raining heavily I have to make sure water is staying out out of the house.

epackage

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it Steve, good luck with the insurance company, just happy you and yours are safe....Jim

ktbi

Reaction score
Nature is powerful. I'm truly glad no one was hurt Steve....Take care...Ron

LC

Reaction score
I can relate to the lightning strikes . Lightning struck my house once , hit one end and out the other . Pretty much took everything electrical . Had an old electric service at the time . It blew the door open on the fuse box and blew out the center of every fuse leaving only the brass threaded parts of the fuses . Mother Nature can sure strut her stuff at times . Glad you all are all right .

Dansalata

Reaction score
WOW!!!THAT IS AWFUL MAN...BUT THANK GOD YOU ARE OK!!!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
That was some crazy storm... Was watching it through the window cuz I'm down in Manahawkin. The torrential rain and lightning dancing on the bay was quite a sight.

surfaceone

Reaction score
spc_map.jpg

Hey Steve,

Glad you and the family are all OK.

Sorry about the extensive damage, and the multiple electronic casualties. I'd be shaking a fist at the sky, for sure.

Was this a serial derecho? Seems awfully reminiscent of the 1980 event.

derecho.jpg
From.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26