just aobservation,

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepDown

Reaction score
Osia - " Deep, do you collect or accumulate............................meaning do you specialize in a type of glass of pick up just whatever you find?" Little bit of both in a sense.... I'll accumulate if it something I know others are collecting or think the odds are good I can sell it or if going help me sell some of my other items I have too much of (best example of coke coolers got many of those. should help with the right era bottles inside - Same with Milk Bins)... But selective.. I can tell a good item from bad item and don't even have to know tons about it. I used to avoid glass. knew nothing about. Hate very fragile items. Until (1 - 2 months ago) walking in woods and found the Mason 1858 Pat jars... Took home and washed and set in front of window. And those looked so cool.. Next day found the purple Mason jar (looks similar to 3l sytle shape) and some 3l's and common ones... Looked them up, Realize people collect those 3L's colored ones. And women buy the common green 1910-20 ones. I like my Pat ones and my old Boyds one for my lighted cabinets. ---- But that got me looking around for more glass... Then found good bottle spots..I collect old 1800's stuff that looks cool when in the lighted cabinet. -- all early 1900 stuff it looks cool and emblossed and think it will sell. I'll keep a few of each... I can all ways get more.. I just stash my piles in the woods. But stuff I kept for myself been 1900 and earlier... Mostly I kept to re-sale been 1930 and earlier and selective on looks and types. only very few later to put with other stuff I sell, make look better and few 3liter & 2 litter soda bottles if look nice or odd local ones... Stuff I pretty sure I can sell. For 2 months of starting... I think I got descent collection going... I got few hundred 1800's washed.. but many have chips... tons more to wash. Been slow on that part.. Hard part is the learning about the dates... been getting the crash course figuring out years and what everything called.. Furture , more specific i'll get... Gotta start somewhere. I think I got a good start.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I voted Joe for best answer, it's all to true.The thing that bothers me is the posters that want "mind readers" to determine something. You know, next to no description and no picture. That or a lousy picture your suppose to be able to read what's embossed on it.Do a little typing and focus your camera, will, ya![:'(]

Karikeller11

Reaction score
Sunrunner, can you spell anything right? I sometimes have my gramar porblems to... lol

Thank you for the good laugh!!

Everyone has their reasons, for example, I have never sold a bottle. I am happy to give someone a bottle if they are new and want to learn or share if I have more than one, truth is, I have even shared when I only had one of a particular type, but have never done this for the money. People have asked me if they are valuable and I always say Bottles are not necessarily valuable but what they represent to me is invaluable.
I love how the feel, the thickness of the glass, the workmanship that was put into making them and then think about the time when someone actually used what was in them and never gave a thought to the bottle itself. It fascinates me.

joesmarbles

Reaction score
Thanks Eric, I have been flat broke after a broken marriage and three kids to support, I know what it is like to search for pennies in the street. So I give all the credit in the world to those who are trying their best to make it and not being a porch potatoe living off the backs of hard working people.....Joe

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
sunrunner said:
iv notices lately a lot of new people coming on the forum,that fined a bottle,and just ask how much its worth.It wood be nice if some of them wood be truly interested in its history or who made it.Just an observation.

That has been going on for years and years on ABN nothing new

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Asking for values doesn't bother me, except when it's done with a lack of manners. I get a fair number of people emailing me for appraisals. I give them freely, but seldom get a thanks. I guess I'm just optimistic and prefer to share, but, man, it burns me sometimes. Seriously, how difficult is it to say, "Please could somebody tell me the value?" and, "Thanks for taking the time to respond."?

botlguy

Reaction score
mctaggart67 said:
Asking for values doesn't bother me, except when it's done with a lack of manners. I get a fair number of people emailing me for appraisals. I give them freely, but seldom get a thanks. I guess I'm just optimistic and prefer to share, but, man, it burns me sometimes. Seriously, how difficult is it to say, "Please could somebody tell me the value?" and, "Thanks for taking the time to respond."?
Amen to that Brother!

antlerman23

Reaction score
I rarely ask for a value, because it doesn't really matter to me personally. I have asked the question before, but only to gauge if a trade I am making is a good deal, or if I have a good bottle and want to know how good it really is. that's another thing. There is a rare local squat that I really want that is worth right around $150, $200. I could have $300, and not be able to get the bottle, just because people would rather trade than sell. and I love that. A bottle for a bottle, not for gas money or new sunglasses or whatever. But to the people who want to know value, that is perfectly fine. It is a valid question, and one that is pretty important in this day and age. but please, for the love of god, be nice when we tell you what your screw top 1940s ketchup bottle is worth.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
OK - I have collected glass products for 77 years now. The first ones were telephone insulators.The the first bottle was a milk. Since then I have somewhere in the neighbor hood of 1500 examples of old glass items. I have worked in the glass making industry as a development and applications engineer and mold metal sales man for a total of about 40 years. I also traveled to over half the worlds glass industry locations to sell special metals that would improve glass production quality and at reduced cost because of durable life performance. It has been a great life for me! Now at the age of 85 - I guess I should slow down on glass - my better half is tired of it. I guess I can't though. RED M.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Karikeller11 said:
People have asked me if they are valuable and I always say Bottles are not necessarily valuable but what they represent to me is invaluable.

That's what I say! *Highpaw*

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75